Vegan Apple Crisp is the perfect fall dessert featuring tender sweet-tart apples and a crispy oat topping. This small batch recipe serves 4 and is easy to make in 45 minutes. Enjoy it on its own or topped with dairy-free ice cream or whipped topping.
But for holidays like Thanksgiving, there's something special about warm syrupy apples with cinnamon and a crunchy oat topping.
It's just as satisfying as apple pie, but much easier to make. And this small batch apple crisp is perfect for occasions when you're not serving a crowd.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Even those who don't regularly bake can successfully make it.
- It's a delicious way to enjoy seasonal apples.
- The smaller yield makes it perfect for when you want a sweet treat and don't want a lot of leftovers.
Tips for choosing apples
The filling for this vegan apple crisp can be made with any of your favorite varieties of apples.
- Popular choices for baked apple desserts include Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious.
- Choose whichever ones look good in the store. Opt to buy them in a bulk bag to save money.
- Mix and match more than one type or use whatever you have in your refrigerator.
- Choose apples that feel firm and are free from blemishes.
- Check out the guide to popular apple varieties from the US Apple Association for inspiration.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Don't worry if you're like me and not much of a baker. If you can stir ingredients together with a spoon or fork, you can make this vegan apple crisp.
To make the filling, simply mix the following ingredients together:
- Peeled and sliced apples
- Organic sugar
- Lemon juice
- Cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- Ground cinnamon
For the topping, instead of purchasing oat flour in addition to oats, half of the oats will be ground up in a food processor to form a coarse flour.
Then mix together the homemade oat flour, the remaining rolled oats, a pinch of salt, organic brown sugar, and coconut oil.
Finally, transfer the apple filling to a baking dish, spoon the oat topping over it, and bake.
While this vegan apple crisp is delicious on its own, it's wonderful topped with a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream. Or serve it with coconut whipped cream.
Leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. Reheat in a microwave or oven or enjoy at room temperature.
While some refined sugars are processed with animal products, organic cane sugar, vegan-friendly pure cane sugar, and sugar made from beets are vegan.
You can use quick oats instead of rolled oats (old-fashioned oats), but the baked topping won't have as much texture.
Usually apple crisp topping is made with oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter. What makes this recipe vegan is that it uses coconut oil in place of butter.
More recipes with apples
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Small Batch Vegan Apple Crisp
For the filling:
- Heat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Combine the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Process ½ cup of the oats in a food processor until it forms a coarse flour.
- In a small bowl, combine the oat flour with the remaining ½ cup of oats and the rest of the crumble topping ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Spoon the filling into a 24 ounce baking dish.
- Spread the crumble topping over the filling.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until heated through and lightly browned on top.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.