Vegan Blueberry Crumble is loaded with fresh blueberries and topped with a crispy oatmeal crust. This dessert goes from oven to table in about 30 minutes. And you don't have to be a baking expert to make these easy homemade treats.
I've never been much of a baker, but I enjoy making easy desserts.
And even though we might not think of sweet treats as being part of the Mediterranean diet, the lifestyle does allow for having dessert once in a while.
In fact, in the informative and entertaining documentary, How to Live to 100, most of the centenarians featured enjoyed homemade dessert at family celebrations.
Since I love fresh summer fruit, after first making Apricot Crumble, I wanted to try some different fillings.
And I discovered I absolutely love blueberry!
I decided to make individual crumbles so that no one has to share.
This vegan blueberry crumble recipe makes two, but of course you can make one, three, four, or how ever many you want!
Crumble or crisp?
I may be incorrect in calling this recipe a vegan blueberry "crumble."
Vegan blueberry crisp may be a better title.
According to the article The Difference Between Cobblers, Crumbles, Crisps, Buckles and More, since this topping contains oats and is crispy rather than cakey, I won't disagree with you if you think I misnamed it.
But whatever you call it, it's really delicious!
How to make Vegan Blueberry Crumble
This easy blueberry crumble is made with a short list of ingredients.
For the filling you'll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh blueberries
- Lemon juice
- Cornstarch or arrowroot powder
And the topping ingredient list is just as simple:
- Rolled oats (certified gluten-free, if necessary)
- Oat flour (certified gluten-free, if necessary, or use a food processor to make your own oat flour from rolled oats)
- Light brown sugar
- Coconut oil
Using coconut oil instead of the traditional butter makes this recipe vegan.
To make a gluten free blueberry crisp:
- Mix the filling ingredients in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the topping ingredients. I like to use a fork for mixing.
- Add the blueberry filling to oven-proof ramekins.
- Top each one with the oat mixture.
- Bake until crispy and bubbly.
- Be sure to let the vegan blueberry crumble rest for about 10 minutes so you don't burn your mouth on the hot fruit filling.
I love that you can eat them out of the ramekin you cooked them in.
And you can add a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream or coconut whip on top, if you like, for a special treat.
Vegan blueberry crumble tips
You don't need any special equipment to make vegan blueberry crumble besides some oven-proof ramekins. I used 7-ounce ones.
And if you buy organic sugar, you won't need to worry that your sugar was processed with bone char.
Please note that if you are Celiac, look for gluten-free certified rolled oats.
Fresh or frozen blueberries
I recommend choosing fresh blueberries for this recipe.
The frozen ones require more sugar to be added.
And the texture of this blueberry dessert is much better with fresh fruit.
But if you can't find fresh blueberries, you can substitute other fresh berries in their place such as raspberries, blackberries, or sliced strawberries.
However I've noticed that most supermarkets carry fresh blueberries all year round.
Vegan Blueberry Crumble Recipe
This easy fruity dessert pairs well with a number of dishes.
I especially enjoy it during summer months with a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream.
And since the recipe makes 2 servings, you can enjoy it as a treat for yourself or make more to feed a crowd.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Vegan Blueberry Crumble
For the filling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and corn starch. Stir until combined and set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the rolled oats, oat flour, brown sugar, salt, and coconut oil. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Divide the fruit mixture between two oven-safe 7 ounce ramekins. Then add the oat mixture on top.
- Bake 25 minutes until the edges start to bubble and the topping is slightly crispy.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- (Optional) Top each serving with a scoop of vanilla non-dairy ice cream, if desired.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.