Vegan Wild Rice Soup is easy to make in the Instant Pot pressure cooker. It's creamy and comforting while being dairy-free, gluten-free, and oil-free.
Just look at that creamy goodness!
About 25 years ago I visited Minnesota for the first time.
I was really excited to try wild rice soup since I had heard so much about it.
While I wasn't vegan back then, I was lactose intolerant.
And I was so disappointed when I learned it was a cream-based soup.
But it looked so delicious!
I had major food envy.
Thankfully, now I know how to make traditional creamy recipes dairy-free by using plant-based ingredients such as cashews.
What is wild rice?
Wild rice is native to North American and grows in the cool waters of northern Minnesota.
Technically a grass, wild rice is very nutritious.
It's high in fiber and low in calories.
And it's also a good source of protein, B vitamins, and potassium.
Learn more by reading The History and Story of Wild Rice.
Instant Pot Recipe
Now I can enjoy Vegan Wild Rice Soup whenever I want since it's so easy to make in the Instant Pot!
Do you have an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker? I highly recommend it!
I bought mine many years ago.
In fact, the model I have is the original version which has since been discontinued.
But it still works great!
I use my Instant Pot several times a week.
I love it for cooking beans and grains.
All varieties of rice cook perfectly as well, even wild rice!
And you can also use to to make easy and healthy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
How to prepare Vegan Wild Rice Soup
Making this soup in the Instant Pot is very simple:
- Saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little water.
- Add the uncooked wild rice, soaked dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), vegetable broth or water, and some seasonings.
- Close the lid and set the manual function (pressure cook) for 25 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Meanwhile, blend raw cashews and water to make cashew cream.
- Add the cashew cream, salt and pepper, to taste, and enjoy your Vegan Wild Rice Soup!
Doesn't that sound easy?
Plus you won't miss the dairy or oil!
Vegan Wild Rice Soup Recipe
This soup is ready in less than an hour and makes about 6 servings. However, I've been known to eat more than one bowl at a time because it's so delicious!
I recommend soaking the chickpeas for several hours or overnight, but if you don't have dried beans, you can add in canned garbanzo beans at the end as many readers have told me they have done successfully.
If you have any leftovers, you can keep them refrigerated for a few days and reheat the soup on the stove or in the microwave.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Vegan Wild Rice Soup in the Instant Pot
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, (garbanzo beans) soaked for a few hours or overnight
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups vegetable broth , or water
- ½ cup raw cashews, (soaked for 30 minutes in hot water if you don't have a high speed blender)
- ½ cup water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Using the Saute function, saute the onions in a splash of water until they are softened and slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds more.
- Add the carrots and celery and a few more splashes of water, as necessary, if the pot is dry. Saute for a few minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the chickpeas, wild rice, bay leaf, thyme, and vegetable broth or water and stir to combine.
- Close the lid and set the timer for 25 minutes on Manual.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Meanwhile, in a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix, blend the cashews and ½ cup water until very smooth.
- Remove the lid once the pressure has released. Add the cashew mixture and stir well. Add salt and pepper, to taste, and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Grab your FREE Vegan Holiday Recipes eBook