Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup is smooth and velvety without using any milk or butter. Seasoned with herbes de Provence, it's easy to make this comforting dish in just 30 minutes. Enjoy this creamy soup on its own or with some warm crusty bread and a salad.
And like those dairy-free soups, Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup tastes rich and creamy thanks to raw cashews.
Along with mild leeks, buttery gold potatoes, and aromatic herbes de Provence, it's the perfect combination of flavor and texture.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It only requires 7 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- It's ready to eat in 30 minutes.
- It's velvety, cozy, and comforting.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil for sauteing (or use water for an oil-free version)
- Leeks (white and light green parts only)
- Yellow potatoes like Yukon gold or fingerling, rather than russet potatoes which are too grainy
- Vegetable broth
- Raw cashews (or substitute ½ cup canned coconut milk for a nut-free version)
- Bay leaf
- Herbes de Provence (or substitute one or a combination of dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, and oregano)
Herbes de Provence
- A delightful combination of basil, savory, thyme, tarragon, fennel, rosemary, oregano, dill, marjoram, chervil, lavender
- Flatpacks always ship for free.
- Get 10% off orders of $35 or more with code VEGGIES10.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Remove and discard the tough green tops and roots from the leeks. Slice the leeks lengthwise and clean them in an ample amount of water to wash off the dirt between the layers.
- Roughly dice, then rinse again to ensure no grains of the sandy soil they were grown in remain. (A salad spinner works great for this.)
- Saute the leeks in olive oil (or water) until they are soft.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, and herbs and give the ingredients a quick stir.
- Using the Pressure Cooker function on high, set the timer for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender until completely smooth.
- Blend the cashews and water in a high-speed blender to form a cashew cream. Stir it into the soup.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed, and serve.
If you decide to make a double batch of Vegan Potato Leek Soup in your Instant Pot, the cooking time will remain the same. However, it will take longer for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure.
Leftover potato leek soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days. Reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
Related to onions, garlic, shallots, and chives, leeks have a milder and slightly sweeter flavor than onions.
While the white bulbs and light green parts of leeks are tender, the dark green parts of very tough and are usually discarded rather than eaten.
Herbes de Provence is a mixture of dried herbs and spices from the Provençal region of France. It usually includes thyme, basil, rosemary, tarragon, savory, marjoram, oregano, and bay leaf.
More vegan potato soup recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups leeks, cleaned well and roughly chopped (white and light green part only)
- 5 cups gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 large potatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon herbes de provence
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- green onions or chives, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Using the Saute function, heat the olive oil, then saute the leeks until they are very soft, stirring often.
- Cancel the Saute function and add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, and herbs de provence to the Instant Pot. Give the ingredients a stir, then close and lock the lid.
- Set the Pressure Cooker function on high for 4 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, place the cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary. Set aside.
- After the 4 minutes on the Instant Pot are up, quick release the pressure.
- Once the pressure is fully released, remove the lid and carefully discard the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until completely smooth.
- Slowly stir in the blended cashew mixture. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish the bowls of soup with sliced green onions or chives, if desired, and enjoy.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.