Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup is smooth and creamy without using any dairy. And it’s easy to make in 30 minutes.
I love making soup in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker.
Recently I was set to make Potato Corn Chowder when I remembered I had some leeks in the refrigerator.
So I decided to try my hand at making a vegan potato leek soup in the Instant Pot.
And the results were incredible!
Not only was the soup quick and easy to make, it was velvety and rich.
All without using any dairy!
How to clean leeks
One of the most important steps in making Vegan Potato Leek Soup is properly cleaning the leeks.
Leeks are grown in sandy soil, and the bits of sand tend to get in the layers of leaf sheaths.
And the last thing we want is sand in our soup.
But fortunately cleaning this cousin of onion and garlic is relatively easy.
We only need the white and light green parts of the leek, so first I remove the tough green tops.
Then I slice the leeks lengthwise and clean them in an ample amount of water.
In addition, it helps to rinse them again after you’ve chopped them to make sure no grains of sand remain.
This step-by-step tutorial How To Clean Leeks is very helpful.
Once the leeks are clean and diced, we’re ready to make our Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
How to make Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup
Traditional potato leek soup from Wales is usually made with potatoes, leeks, chicken broth, heavy cream, and seasoning.
However, the vegan version is equally delicious made with vegetable broth and cashew cream.
And for the seasoning, I love using herbs de provence.
This French blend is typically a mix of savory, marjoram, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and lavender.
But if you can’t find herbs de provence, you can substitute Italian seasoning or your own mix of herbs such as oregano, rosemary, and thyme.
Anyway, making Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup is very simple.
- Saute the leeks in a little olive oil (or water) until they are soft.
- Add the potatoes, vegetable broth, and herbs and give the ingredients a quick stir.
- Using the Pressure Cooker function on high, set the timer for 4 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure.
- Blend the soup until completely smooth.
- Stir in the cashew cream and season to taste with salt.
- Garnish with sliced green onions or chives and enjoy!
Now get out your Instant Pot, and let’s make Vegan Potato Leek Soup!
Instant Pot Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups leeks, cleaned well and roughly chopped (white and light green part only)
- 5 cups gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 large potatoes)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- salt, to taste
- green onions or chives, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Using the Saute function, heat the olive oil, then saute the leeks until they are very soft, stirring often.
- Cancel the Saute function and add the potatoes, vegetable broth, bay leaf, and herbs de provence to the Instant Pot. Give the ingredients a stir, then close and lock the lid.
- Set the Pressure Cooker function on high for 4 minutes.
- While the soup cooks, place the cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Blend until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary. Set aside.
- After the 4 minutes on the Instant Pot are up, quick release the pressure.
- Once the pressure is fully released, remove the lid and carefully discard the bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until completely smooth.
- Slowly stir in the blended cashew mixture. Season the soup with salt, to taste.
- Garnish the bowls of soup with sliced green onions or chives, if desired, and enjoy!