This quick and flavorful vegan Mediterranean Cannellini Bean Salad features sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives in a light dressing. It's easy to make with mostly pantry ingredients in only 15 minutes. Enjoy it as a side or stuffed in a pita pocket.
Delicious vegan salads don't always have to contain lettuce. In fact, some of my favorites are based on beans and legumes instead of greens.
If you enjoy hearty no lettuce veggie salads like Middle Eastern bean salad, lentil and sun-dried tomato salad, and Italian white bean and cherry tomato salad, this Mediterranean Cannellini Bean Salad is the recipe for you.
It's a delightful combination of flavors and textures that you can enjoy any time of the year.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make it under 15 minutes with only 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- It's loaded with Mediterranean flavors and can be enjoyed on its own or with a variety of dishes.
- It's perfect for potlucks, picnics, and barbecues.
- Cannellini beans: Also known as white kidney beans, you can also use any white bean you like such as Great Northern Beans, navy beans, or butter beans (lima beans).
- Sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil: Sold in jars, look for ones that are julienne cut, if available.
- Kalamata olives: Look for pitted and sliced, if available, or you can slice them yourself.
- Fresh parsley: I like to use Italian flat-leaf, but curly is fine, too.
If available, purchase sun-dried tomatoes in a jar which have already been julienned (sliced in strips). And look for olives with the pits removed and that have already been sliced.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
To make this recipe, simply combine the ingredients in a salad bowl and toss to combine. Then refrigerate the salad in an airtight container until you're ready to eat.
If you like to meal prep to have easy lunches and dinners ready throughout the week, this Mediterranean bean salad is a great one to add to your repertoire.
I like to combine a few different vegan salads together and enjoy them as a meal. It pairs particularly well with Moroccan shredded carrot salad, avocado hearts of palm salad, and tabbouleh-inspired lemon herb quinoa salad.
Or add some Cannellini Bean Salad to a warm pita pocket with some fresh spinach or arugula for a satisfying lunch or easy dinner.
It's also wonderful served with crusty bread like my favorite gluten-free vegan sourdough from Bread SRSLY in San Francisco. I like to mail order several loaves and bags of rolls at a time and keep them in my freezer. Use code VEGGIESSAVETHEDAY for 15% off your first order.
Leftover cannellini bean salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing it.
Yes, these are two different names for the same bean.
No, they are not. Cannellini beans are the same as white kidney beans. Butter beans are the same as lima beans.
If you can't find cannellini beans (white kidney beans), feel free to use Great Northern beans or anything labeled white beans. Navy beans, butter beans, and lima beans will all work well in this recipe.
While this recipe wasn't developed with garbanzo beans in mind, if you don't care for cannellini beans or want to use up those cans of chickpeas in your pantry, feel free to make the substitution. Chickpeas go wonderfully with sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives, just like white beans do.
If you want to cook your beans from scratch before preparing this recipe, check out the article How to Cook Dry Beans from Scratch for tips and both stovetop and pressure cooker instructions.
More vegan cannellini bean recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Mediterranean Cannellini Bean Salad
- Place the beans, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, parsley, vinegar, and olive oil in a salad bowl.
- Toss well to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
- Toss again and serve or refrigerate until ready to eat.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.