Cannellini Bean Salad features sun-dried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and fresh herbs in a light dressing. It’s easy to make with only 6 ingredients. Enjoy this vegan Mediterranean white bean salad as a side dish or stuffed into pita pockets.
Beans are a staple ingredient in the Mediterranean diet.
They are high in both protein and fiber and keep you feeling full.
I love keeping different varieties of canned beans in my pantry.
And I also buy beans dried for when I want to make a batch from scratch on the stove or in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker.
However, when it comes to quick and easy bean salads, there’s nothing like the convenience of popping open a can.
But what are the best beans to use in dishes like this Cannellini Bean Salad?
Let’s talk beans!
White Bean FAQ
When you go shopping for the ingredients to make Cannellini Bean Salad, you’ll probably see a few different beans on the shelf that look similar but go by different names:
- Great Northern Beans: These beans have a lighter texture than Cannellini, but are similar in appearance.
- White Kidney Beans: Another name for Cannellini beans!
- Navy Beans: Smaller than Cannellini; often cooked in tomato sauce to make baked beans.
- Butter Beans: Another name for Lima beans.
- Lima Beans: Another name for Butter beans.
- Cannellini Beans: Like the familiar red Kidney bean, but white in color.
Are cannellini beans and white kidney beans the same?
Yes, they are!
Are cannellini beans and butter beans the same?
No, they are not!
Cannellini beans are the same as white kidney beans.
Butter beans are the same as lima beans.
What can be used in place of cannellini beans?
For this white bean salad recipe, if you can’t find cannellini beans or white kidney beans, feel free to use Great Northern beans or anything labeled “white beans.” Navy beans, butter beans, and lima beans will all work.
Can I use garbanzo beans instead of cannellini beans?
While this recipe wasn’t developed with garbanzo beans in mind, if you don’t care for cannellini beans or want to use up those cans of chickpeas in your pantry, feel free to make the substitution. Chickpeas go wonderfully with sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives, just like white beans do!
Can I use dried beans instead of canned beans?
If you want to cook your beans from scratch before preparing this recipe, check out the guide 7 Types of Beans and How to Cook Them.
Now that we’ve talked about the beans, let’s get to the recipe details!
Cannellini Bean Salad ingredients
You only need six ingredients to make this delicious Mediterranean white beans salad, plus salt and pepper:
- Cannellini beans (or your favorite white bean)
- Sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil (look for julienne cut)
- Kalamata olives (look for pitted and sliced)
- Fresh parsley (I usually buy Italian flat-leaf, but curly is fine, too)
- Red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to serve
I love combining a few different summer salads together and enjoying them as a meal.
And if you like to meal prep to have easy lunches and dinners ready throughout the week, this Cannellini Bean Salad is a great one to add to your repertoire.
Or add some Cannellini Bean Salad to a warm pita pocket with some fresh spinach or arugula for a satisfying lunch.
Cannellini Bean Salad Recipe
Once you have your white bean salad ingredients, all you need to do is combine them in a salad bowl and toss well to combine.
You can eat it right away, or cover and refrigerate it for later.
This recipe makes 6 servings.
If you love this Cannellini Bean Salad, please give it 5 stars!
Cannellini Bean Salad
- Place the beans, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, parsley, vinegar, and olive oil in a salad bowl.
- Toss well to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
- Toss again and serve or refrigerate until ready to eat.