Bursting with flavor from fresh herbs, cinnamon, and cumin, this vegan shredded carrot and orange salad is easy to make in 15 minutes. It's light and refreshing and compliments a variety of dishes from rice pilaf to chickpea stew.
Carrots often play a supporting role in soup, stew, and sauce recipes. But here they take center stage in this vibrant raw Moroccan Carrot and Orange Salad.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make it in 15 minutes (or less, if you use store-bought shredded carrots).
- The fragrant spices and fresh herbs impart delicious Moroccan-inspired sweet- and-savory flavors.
- It goes with just about everything and can be made in advance.
- Carrots: Purchase them pre-shredded or use a food processor or box grater to shred them yourself.
- Oranges: Cut them into segments by removing the bitter white pith and chewy membranes.
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- Homemade dressing: Combine olive oil, juice from the oranges, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, pure maple syrup, and salt and pepper.
I like the use herb scissors with 5 blades to quickly and easily cut the fresh herbs. It even works well when the herbs are still wet from rinsing them.
How to shred carrots
- Use the large grate on a box grater: This method works best if your carrots are large. Peel the carrots and cut off the top and bottom tips. Shred the carrots over a cutting board or plate.
- Use a food processor with the shredding blade: This is my preferred method. Peel the carrots, remove the ends, and half or quarter the carrots so that the pieces fit inside the cylinder of the food processor lid. Turn on the machine and push the carrots down against the shredding blade. Quick and easy!
- Purchase pre-shredded carrots at the supermarket: This may be the most time-saving option. If the carrots appear a little dried out, place them in a colander and run cold water over them. If you have more than you need for this recipe, you can use the rest of the carrots in other salads. Or you can add them to pasta sauce, rice pilaf, or stir fry.
How to cut citrus into segments
- Using a sharp paring knife, slice off the top and bottom of the orange.
- Cut away the peel and white pith.
- Hold the orange over a bowl and slice between the membranes. This will release the individual segments. Save the juice to use in the dressing.
- For this recipe, if the segments are large, cut them in half so you end up with small chunks of orange.
Reserve the juice that comes out of the orange when you are cutting it into segments and use it in the dressing.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Making this salad is really easy. Simply mix the dressing ingredients in a small jar or bowl, pour them over the carrots, oranges, cilantro, and mint, and toss well to coat all the ingredients.
Leftover carrot and orange salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Toss to recombine the ingredients before serving. Do not freeze.
Yes, you can shred the carrots and store them covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Depending on the size of the carrots, 2 to 3 shredded carrots equal a cup.
Yes, whole unpeeled carrots should be stored in the refrigerator in the product drawer. They will last up to a month.
Another name for the segments after the bitter white pith and chewy membranes are removed is supremes.
Moroccan cuisine uses a lot of fragrant spices like turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, and ginger. It has a lot of flavor but is mild rather than spicy "hot".
More carrot recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy carrots? Try some of these vegan Mediterranean diet favorites:
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Moroccan Carrot and Orange Salad
FOR THE SALAD:
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented, with segments cut in half
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, minced
- Add the salad ingredients to a medium bowl.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To shred the carrots, use a food processor, box grater, or purchase pre-shredded carrots.
- To cut the oranges into segments, use a paring knife to slice off the top and bottom of the orange. Then cut away the peel and white pith. Hold the orange over a bowl and slice between the membranes to release the individual segments.
- Reserve the juice that comes out of the orange when you are cutting it into segments and use it in the dressing.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.