Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Carrots is a Greek-inspired vegan recipe featuring spinach and Kalamata olives in a light dressing. It’s easy to make with only 6 common ingredients. And this simple chickpea salad is healthy and colorful, appealing to both the eyes and the palate.
Some of my favorite salad recipes feature garbanzo beans.
It’s so easy to open a can and add this versatile legume to quick and healthy dishes.
In fact, I could eat some form of chickpea salad practically every day, such as these ones:
- Chickpea Avocado Salad with Mango
- Chickpea Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Chickpeas and Tomatoes
- BBQ Ranch Salad with Chickpeas
- Buffalo Chickpea Salad with Ranch
And now I love this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad!
Are chickpeas good for you?
Garbanzo beans, which are a pulse, are a good source of fiber, protein, and important nutrients.
According to pulses.org, eating a diet rich in pulses can:
- Help maintain a healthy body weight
- Reduce post-meal “crashes”
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases
- Help maintain heart health
- Contribute to gut health
And chickpeas are a healthy part of a plant-based Mediterranean Diet.
If you’re not used to eating them, this spinach chickpea salad is a great recipe to start with.
How to Shred Carrots
One of the ingredients in Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is shredded carrots.
As I mention in the recipe for Moroccan Carrot Salad, there are three main ways to prepare the carrots:
- Use a box grater.
- Use a food processor.
- Buy pre-shredded carrots at the supermarket.
I typically choose the second option, but feel free to do whichever works best for you.
Greek Chickpea Salad
I like to think of this recipe as being Greek-inspired since the dressing is made with lemon juice and olive oil.
And one of the main components of Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is Kalamata olives.
These olives are one of my favorites, although I admit I’ve never met an olive I didn’t like.
The soft dark brown olives are from a southern town on the Peloponnese peninsula in Greece called Kalamata.
Not only do olives add a lot of flavor, they are a healthy fat.
Check out Why Kalamata Olives are one of the healthiest foods on earth to learn more.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Recipe
This garbanzo bean salad is easy to make with 6 ingredients:
- baby spinach
- Kalamata olives
- olive oil
- lemon juice
In addition, you may want some salt and pepper for seasoning.
I prefer to eat this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad right away since the spinach will get a little soggy if you have leftovers.
However, if you want to make this dish in advance, you can keep the dressing in a separate container and add it when you’re ready to eat.
This recipe makes 2 servings as a light meal.
Or if you make it as a starter, 4 people can enjoy it.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad with Carrots
- 1 can chickpeas, (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped (or substitute shredded lettuce)
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, spinach, and olives to a large salad bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in a small bowl or jar to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over and salad and toss well to coat.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper, as needed. Serve.