Seasoned Pan Fried Chickpeas are easy to make in 15 minutes in a skillet. You'll love the mouthwatering garlicky, smoky, and citrusy Mediterranean flavors. Enjoy this vegan protein option with your favorite sides dishes or as a tasty addition to a salad.
If I had to choose one ingredient I can't live without, it would have to be chickpeas. Also known as garbanzo beans, these legumes are wonderful in a variety of dishes and cuisines.
Not only is the texture the perfect combination of crispy and soft, the seasonings can be varied to suit your mood.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy to make in 15 minutes with only 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- The seasoned chickpeas are a delicious plant-based protein that pair well with a variety of side dishes and salads.
- You can serve them hot or cold, making them perfect for meal prep.
Smoked paprika: There are three types of paprika: sweet, hot, and smoked. For this recipe I like to use smoked paprika, which is produced by smoking and drying peppers. As the name suggests, it imparts a deep, smoky flavor. This variety is commonly used in Mediterranean cooking.
I purchase my dried herbs and spices from The Spice House. I like the flatpacks which always ship for free. Use my discount code VEGGIES10 to get 10% off orders of $35 or more.
Substitutions and variations
While I chose garlic, smoked paprika, and cumin for the seasoning, you can make Pan Fried Chickpeas with your own flavor combinations like the following:
- Nutritional yeast, dried dill, and dried parsley
- Garlic powder, onion powder, and nutritional yeast
- Italian seasoning, Herbes de Provence, or a mix of oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary
- Dried cumin, chili powder, and dried coriander with a squeeze of lime juice instead of lemon
- Your favorite curry powder blend
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- In a medium mixing bowl, toss the chickpeas with olive oil and seasoning.
- Add them to a hot skillet and saute until heated through and lightly crispy. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Pan Fried Chickpeas are a versatile plant-based protein. You can enjoy them hot or cold.
Or add them to a green salad with sliced red onions, tangy green olives, and Oil-Free Vegan Avocado Dressing as shown in the above photo. They are also delicious added to a Vegan Greek Salad or used in place of plain chickpeas in a Chickpea Spinach Salad.
Chickpeas can be enjoyed right away or refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container. Serve them hot or cold.
If you want to use dried beans, cook them in advance before making this recipe. You will need ½ cup of dried chickpeas which will yield approximately 1½ cups when cooked.
They are actually the same thing. The word garbanzo comes from Spanish while the word chickpea comes from Latin.
If you don't care for the chickpea skins, you can remove them by rubbing the chickpeas in a clean kitchen towel and discarding the skins before proceeding with the recipe.
More chickpea recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Pan Fried Chickpeas
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the chickpeas with the olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, and salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas and saute, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas are lightly crispy on the outside and heated through. Squeeze lemon over the top and enjoy hot or cold.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.