Chickpea Cucumber Salad is a healthy summer recipe. It's easy to make in 15 minutes with common ingredients, and it's delicious as a starter or light meal. And you can make this Mediterranean chickpea salad in advance and enjoy it throughout the week.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
One thing I love about a plant-based Mediterranean diet is the focus on fresh fruits and vegetables.
Combine pantry basics like olives and garbanzo beans with seasonal produce, and you come up with a simple tasty meal.
Plus I'm a sucker for anything with tomatoes, cucumbers, and fresh herbs.
I practically live on these ingredients during the warm summer months, combining them in different ways to make delicious dishes.
And this Chickpea Cucumber Salad is one of my favorites.
This Chickpea Cucumber Salad combines healthy Mediterranean diet components:
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans): High in fiber and protein, these legumes support blood sugar control and help control appetite. Read more in the article 8 Great Reasons to Include Chickpeas in Your Diet.
- Cucumber: Low in calories hydrating, and a good source of phytonutrients according to Cucumbers: Health Benefits & Nutrition Facts.
- Tomatoes: Rich in vitamin C and lycopene, you can learn more in the article Tomato Nutrition Facts.
- Red onions: Dr. Joel Fuhrman includes raw onions in his list of The Healthiest, Anti-Cancer Foods: G-BOMBS.
- Fresh parsley: Parsley is a rich source of anti-oxidants and provides a vibrant flavor to this salad and other foods.
- Black olives: A healthy source of fat in the Mediterranean diet.
Chickpea salad dressing
The dressing for this simple chickpea salad couldn't be easier to make.
I like to use a small glass jar when making salad dressing so I can shake the ingredients together to combine.
Here's what you'll need:
The following are affiliate links. Veggies Save The Day is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- fresh lemon juice, but a good quality bottled lemon juice will work if fresh lemons aren't available. Santa Cruz Organic 100% Lemon Juice is the one I keep in my refrigerator.
- olive oil
- fresh garlic
- pure maple syrup, like 365 Everyday Value Organic.
- salt and pepper
How to serve Chickpea Cucumber Salad
This Mediterranean chickpea salad can be eaten as a complete meal for lunch or a light dinner.
And I recommend bringing it to potlucks.
It's always a hit and a great choice when you're not sure if there will be anything there for you to eat.
Chickpea Cucumber Salad Recipe
A simple chickpea salad is healthy and delicious.
Feel free to customize this recipe to suit your tastes.
If you don't care for olives, try diced avocado instead.
Or add other raw vegetables like sweet bell pepper or sliced radishes.
This salad will last well refrigerated, so you can make a double batch and enjoy it all week.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Chickpea Cucumber Salad
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 can chickpeas, (garbanzo beans) 15 ounces (1 ½ cups) rinsed and drained
- 1 small cucumber, or ½ English cucumber, sliced lengthwise, seeds removed, and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pitted black olives
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small bottle with a lid. Shake until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.
- Keep the salad refrigerated until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.Click here to download your FREE Instant Flavor guide: The 4-part formula to take your vegan meals from dull to delicious!