Greek Millet Salad combines the traditional flavors of a Greek salad with the healthy ancient grain. It’s delicious on its own as a complete meal or served as a side with other Mediterranean-inspired dishes. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
Have you tried millet?
Like the more familiar quinoa, it’s gluten-free and an excellent source of fiber, magnesium, and antioxidants.
I love using it in place of couscous in recipes to make them gluten-free.
It’s delicious hot or cold.
And while it’s easy to cook on the stove, my favorite way to prepare it is in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker.
For this recipe, I provide cooking instructions for both methods.
Greek Millet Salad combines the traditional tomato, cucumber, onion, and Kalamata olives with millet and Feta-style marinated tofu.
The cubes of Tofu Feta are really easy to make.
Take a block of pressed extra-firm tofu and cut it in cubes. (Or you can use super-firm tofu and skip the pressing.)
Then marinate the cubes in coconut vinegar, dried oregano, and a little salt.
It’s that simple!
I recommend preparing them the day before for maximum flavor.
And while I don’t claim that it tastes exactly like Feta, it has a nice tang that goes well in this salad.
I even enjoy snacking on the cubes.
The dressing for Greek Millet Salad is packed with flavor from red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, and herbs.
And you probably have all the ingredients already on hand.
I like to put everything in a little glass jar with a lid and shake it up to combine.
Or you can make the dressing in a small bowl and whisk the ingredients until emulsified.
You may even want to make a double batch and save half of it for green salads during the week!
Looking for more millet recipes?
I recommend trying it in these recipes in place of the quinoa for a change of pace:
And my friend Jenn uses the grain in her Millet Black Bean Patties.
Or you can serve it in place of rice when you make Chickpea Stir Fry.
It’s a great staple to keep in your pantry.
Now let’s make Greek Millet Salad!
Greek Millet Salad
For the Tofu Feta:
For the salad:
- To prepare the Tofu Feta, place the tofu cubes in a resealable glass container or zipper bag. Add the coconut vinegar, oregano, and salt. Seal the container, then gently shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for maximum flavor.
- To prepare the millet on the stove, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the millet, then cover and reduce the heat. Simmer until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Transfer the millet to a large salad bowl and allow to cool.
- To prepare the millet in an Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker, add the millet and 1 3/4 cups water to the pot. Close the lid, and set the pressure cooker for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Then transfer the millet to a large salad bowl and allow to cool.
- Once the millet is cool, add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, and olives to the millet in the salad bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid. Shake until well combined. Or alternatively, place the ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until emulsified.
- Add the dressing to the salad bowl with the millet and vegetables. Toss well so that all the ingredients are coated. Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate until read to eat.