Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms are filled with rice, fresh spinach, and garlic and topped with vegan cheese. They are a delicious and naturally gluten-free appetizer perfect for all occasions.
Thank you to Mahatma Rice for sponsoring this post for Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms. All opinions expressed are my own.
One of my favorite party appetizers is stuffed mushrooms.
But often they are filled with ingredients I don't eat, such as breadcrumbs, sausage, or cheese.
So I decided to make my own gluten-free and vegan version that everyone can enjoy!
I always keep a supply of various types of rice in my pantry.
It's perfect plain as a side dish with just about everything.
I decided to use their Organic White Rice to make Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms.
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms are easy to make with only a few common ingredients.
The filling is made with garlic, fresh spinach, and cooked rice.
I often make a big batch of rice in my Instant Pot then refrigerate it for use during the week.
This recipe is perfect for using pre-cooked or leftover rice. If the rice appears dry, all you need to do is mix in a few splashes of water.
Then to make the filling, you simply saute the garlic, spinach, and rice together. It only takes a few minutes.
Most of the cooking time for this recipe is hands-off when the stuffed mushrooms are baking.
For the vegan cheese topping, I used a Provolone flavor, but you can use whatever variety you prefer.
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms are perfect for entertaining.
If you're having a large crowd over, you can double or triple the recipe. I estimate two mushrooms per person, if you're serving a variety of other appetizers.
And to keep it the cost down, I recommend choosing your mushrooms yourself, rather than buying them prepackaged.
At my local store, a prepackaged tray of six medium mushrooms was the same price as the 12 I picked out myself and put in a bag.
In addition, I was able to look at each mushroom and pick the ones that were the most blemish-free.
Now let's make Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms!
Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms (Gluten-Free)
- 12 medium white mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 cup cooked Mahatma Organic White Rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup shredded vegan cheese
- Wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Pat dry and place the mushrooms cavity side up on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, spinach, and rice. Saute until everything is heated through and the spinach has wilted. If the rice mixture appears dry, add a few drops of water. Season the rice mixture to taste with a little salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the rice mixture from the heat. When cool enough to handle, spoon the mixture into the mushroom cavities.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and top each mushroom with a little vegan cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more, or until the mushrooms are heated through and the vegan cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.