Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup is a vegan version of the popular restaurant’s classic dish. And it’s easy to make in under 30 minutes.
There’s something so comforting about the childhood combination of a grilled cheese sandwich and a hot bowl of tomato soup.
It’s not surprising that Panera Bread’s Vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup is so popular.
But unfortunately for many of us, it contains ingredients we don’t consume, like milk, butter, and wheat flour.
However, after stumbling across The Pinning Mama’s copycat version of the Panera classic, I realized it would be easy to make a vegan and gluten-free version of this delicious soup.
And now you can enjoy this dairy-free creamy tomato basil soup whenever you want!
It’s easy to make vegan versions of your favorite soups, even Panera Tomato Basil Soup.
And now I really love this Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup.
Most of the ingredients to make it you may already have in your pantry since it uses canned tomatoes instead of fresh.
You’ll need the following:
- olive oil
- fresh garlic
- crushed tomatoes
- diced tomatoes
- vegetable broth (or water and vegetable bouillon)
- organic sugar
- raw cashews
- fresh basil
And look how easy it is to make this vegan version of Panera Tomato Basil Soup:
- Saute some minced garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare some cashew cream in your high-speed blender by combining raw cashews with water. (If you’re blender isn’t very powerful, soak the cashews ahead of time to soften them.)
- Stir in the cashew cream, some fresh basil, and salt, to taste, and it’s time to eat!
I love that this soup is creamy and a little chunky.
Plus the basil adds a hint of freshness.
And it takes under 30 minutes to make!
Kids and adults alike will love this Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup.
I personally love it with my friend Kathy’s Super Cheezy Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Anyway you choose, Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup is sure to be a winner!
Fun fact: Cream of Tomato Soup with Crushed Popcorn was on JFK’s Inaugural Luncheon Menu in 1961!
Now let’s make Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup!
Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup (Vegan)
- Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot.
- Saute the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and sugar to the pot and stir. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend the raw cashews with the water in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. (If your blender isn't high-speed, soak the cashews in advance to soften, then drain before blending.)
- Once the soup is hot and simmering, slowly pour the cashew mixture into the soup while stirring.
- Stir in the basil and allow the soup to return to a simmer.
- Taste, add salt as needed, and enjoy!