Lemon Orzo Soup (Vegan) is inspired by both Greek Avgolemono and chickpea noodle soup. It’s hearty, comforting, and easy to make in 30 minutes.
Soup as a meal
I love thick and creamy soups that are substantial enough to eat as a meal.
So when I decided to create a creamy Lemon Orzo Soup, I made it in a pot on the stove.
And for those of you who are used to using your Instant Pot to make soups quickly, you’ll be happy to know this recipe only takes 30 minutes to make.
Lemon Orzo Soup is inspired by the Greek Egg and Lemon Soup called Avgolemono.
While I love a good Chickpea Noodle Soup, I wanted to change it up a bit by using lemon and orzo like the classic Greek soup.
And I wanted to make sure it was easy to make in less time than it would to make Avgolemono.
Of course, this recipe is only loosely based on the Greek egg and lemon soup.
Obviously adding cashew cream at the end isn’t the same thing using eggs, and chickpeas aren’t that similar to chicken.
Regardless, I think this creamy Lemon Orzo Soup is really satisfying and delicious.
Making Lemon Orzo Soup is really easy.
First I start off by sauteing some onion in a little olive oil. Once the onion starts to get soft, I add garlic, carrots, and celery.
Next I add vegetable broth, a bay leaf, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
As a reminder, it’s best to zest the lemon before squeezing out the juice.
Once the broth mixture comes to a boil, I add in the canned garbanzo beans and orzo.
Then I let the orzo cook, stirring occasionally, until it’s al dente.
Finally, I stir in some cashew cream made from blending raw cashews with water.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and it’s time to eat our vegan Creamy Lemon Orzo Soup!
And by the way, if you follow a gluten-free diet like I do, I recommend DeLallo Gluten-Free Orzo.
Delicious as a starter or as a meal
This recipe makes four cups of soup or two large meal-size bowls.
Or if I want a cozy and comforting dinner, I’ll have a large bowl on its own.
The leftovers can be refrigerated for a couple of days and reheated.
However, the soup will thicken up even more overnight, so feel free to add some extra vegetable broth or water and a squeeze of lemon when reheating it.
Lemon Orzo Soup Recipe
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Lemon Orzo Soup (Vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup orzo (I use gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (See Notes)
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until soft and slightly translucent. Then add the garlic and saute for 30 more seconds. Next add the carrots and celery and saute about 2 more minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Then add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, lemon zest, and lemon juice to the pot with the vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, blend the cashews and water in a high-speed blender until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Once the soup has come to a boil, add the chickpeas and orzo to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is cooked al dente.
- Stir in the cashew mixture and add salt and pepper, to taste.