Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes are tender on the inside and firm on the outside. Simply cube, season, and bake! This delicious vegan side dish goes with just about everything.
But that all changed when I realized how easy it is to make crispy roasted sweet potatoes with the perfect texture in less than 45 minutes.
Not only is this recipe a family favorite, it's a vegan side dish that's perfect for both weeknight dinners and holiday meals.
Why you'll love this recipe
- No soaking or boiling is required.
- You can vary the flavors and seasonings to suit your taste.
- It's an easy vegan side dish that pairs well with a variety of foods.
Paprika: Paprika can be found in three different forms, sweet, hot, and smoked. I chose Hungarian sweet paprika for this recipe, but smoked hot paprika is another great option if you prefer a spicy kick.
Sweet potatoes: Choose small or medium, if possible, since they are easier to cut. Any variety can be used.
The best part of this crispy roasted sweet potato recipe is you can change up the spices to complement whatever you're serving it with.
- For Thanksgiving and the fall season, try cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Skip the paprika and add rosemary, sage, or thyme.
- Give it a Latin American twist with chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
- Use your favorite curry spice blend.
- Make it Mediterranean with za'atar or sumac.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Place them in a mixing bowl with the olive oil and spices and toss well with your hands to coat.
- Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast, flipping every 10 minutes, until fork tender and lightly browned on the outside.
Crispy roasted sweet potatoes pair well with a variety of dishes.
- Add them to tacos or burritos with black beans, guacamole, and salsa.
- Enjoy them in a bowl with spiced quinoa and kale.
- Eat them at breakfast with silken tofu scramble.
- Serve them with lentil meatloaf muffins and sauteed green beans with mushrooms.
- Try them topped with black bean chili and shredded vegan cheese.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy reheated or cold in salads.
Yes, the skin of sweet potatoes is edible. If you prefer to keep the skin on, you can skip peeling them and simply give them a good scrub.
No, simply toss the sweet potato chunks with olive oil and seasonings, then roast them on a baking sheet in the oven. They will cook through and crisp without the need for parboiling.
If the vegetables are crowded on the pan, they will steam rather than roast. Make sure to spread them out so the pieces don't touch.
Sweet potatoes are done when they feel soft all the way through when pierced with a fork or knife. While whole ones take about an hour to bake, when they are cut into smaller pieces, they generally take between 25 to 30 minutes.
More roasted vegetable recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the sweet potatoes crosswise into ½-inch rounds, then cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Place the sweet potato cubes in a mixing bowl and add the olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Toss well with your hands to coat.
- Spread out the cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes until fork tender and lightly browned on the outside, flipping the sweet potatoes every 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.