Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk is a delicious side dish perfect for the holidays or any day of the year! It's vegan, dairy-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and oil-free, yet full of flavor and easy to make.
This recipe is sponsored by my friends at Hilary's. I love their foods made with real ingredients and free from common allergens.
Sweet potatoes, also known as yams, are nutritional powerhouses.
They are loaded with potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin B6.
Plus they are also high in dietary fiber.
And since they are naturally sweet, you don't need to add much to them to enjoy them.
In fact, one of my favorite ways to eat them is simply baked in the oven like a baked potato.
This recipe builds on that method.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes
All you need to do is bake the yams in the oven with their skin on, peel them when they're cool enough to handle, then mash them with canned coconut milk and some seasonings.
You can even bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time so you can make this recipe in a matter of minutes on a busy weeknight.
One of my favorite ways to serve Mashed Sweet Potatoes is with a Hilary's burger.
Have you tried their products?
Hilary's makes a wonderful selection of burgers, veggie bites, dressings, veggie sausages, and Millet Medleys.
They are made from minimally processed real foods such as black rice, millet, coconut milk, root vegetables, leafy greens, beans and pulses, chia and hemp seeds, apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and sea salt.
And I'm excited to try their holiday stuffing!
But back to the burgers.
I love serving Mashed Sweet Potatoes topped with sauteed vegetables and a veggie burger.
You can choose any vegetables and variety of burger you like.
Then I drizzle a little dressing over it for some extra flavor.
To me this meal is elegant enough to serve for a special occasion, yet easy enough to make on a busy weeknight.
What do you think of this combination?
How will you serve Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk?
Be sure to visit Hilary's to get more delicious recipes and coupons for their products!
Now let's make Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk!
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a fork, prick the clean sweet potatoes in a few spots then place on the lined baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45-60 minutes, depending on their size.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel off the skin.
- In a medium pan over medium-low heat, mash the peeled sweet potatoes with a potato masher. Add the coconut milk as you mash, starting with ¼ of the can, and adding more as needed.
- Season the mashed sweet potatoes with salt and pepper. Add a few pinches of cinnamon, if using.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to serve. The mashed sweet potatoes can be reheated over medium-low heat. Add some of the extra coconut milk if needed.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.