Vegan Sweet Potato Tacos without beans are loaded with flavor from garlic, jalapeño peppers, and fresh pico de gallo. They're the perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
While sweet potatoes are often served baked or mashed as a side dish, they're elevated to main dish status as the star ingredient of these easy vegan tacos. Simply peel, cube, and roast them with garlic and jalapeño until lightly browned and tender.
While you're waiting, prepare the quick fresh salsa with cherry or grape tomatoes, red onions, and lime juice. Along with creamy avocado, it's the perfect topping for these easy sweet potato tacos.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's vegetable-centric, flavorful, and satisfying.
- You can make it in 45 minutes, including the homemade salsa.
- If you have leftovers, you can add them to salads, bowls, or make more tacos.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
I recommend keeping your tortillas warm by placing them in a cloth tortilla warmer. You can heat them individually on the stove (my preferred method) or heat the entire stack directly inside the warmer in the microwave.
Step 1: Toss the sweet potatoes, jalapeño, and garlic with olive oil and salt and pepper. Spread them out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 2: Roast in the oven, tossing halfway though, until tender and lightly browned.
Step 3: While the sweet potato mixture is roasting, prepare the pico de gallo. Add the ingredients to a mixing bowl and toss well to combine.
Step 4: Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed. Allow to rest at room temperature, mixing occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are ready. Then build your tacos by filling warm tortillas with the sweet potato mixture, pico de gallo, and sliced avocado.
Leftover roasted sweet potatoes and pico de gallo should be stored separately in airtight containers. They will each last 3-4 days refrigerated.
Besides making more tacos, you can use the leftovers as fillings for burrito bowls, add them to salads, or simply enjoy them on their own.
Yes, the skin of sweet potatoes is not only edible, it contains a lot of nutrients. If you prefer to keep the skin on, you can skip peeling them and simply give them a good scrub.
The best place to store sweet potatoes is in a cool, dark area, such as a back corner on your kitchen countertop or in your pantry. They will last 3 to 5 weeks.
On the Scoville scale which measures spice level, jalapeños are considered mild. However, you never really know how hot a particular pepper is until you taste it. If it's too hot for your liking, remove and discard the seeds and ribs which is where most of the heat comes from.
More taco recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Sweet Potato Tacos Without Beans
For the sweet potatoes:
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the pico de gallo:
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- salt, to taste
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Arrange the sweet potato cubes, garlic, and jalapeno slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the olive oil and salt and pepper over the sweet potatoes. Use your hands to toss to coat.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender and lightly browned, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pico de gallo by adding the ingredients to a medium bowl. Gently mix everything together. Taste and add salt as needed.
- To make the tacos, fill the warm tortillas with the roasted sweet potatoes, then top with pico de gallo and avocado slices.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.