Vegan Taco Soup is simple to make in under 30 minutes with pantry staples. This family favorite is flavorful, hearty, and comforting.
Taco soup is a classic “dump” recipe.
Simply empty the contents of a few cans of food from your cupboard into a big pot and let it simmer.
I decided to veganize the popular recipe typically made with ground beef by using one of my favorite ingredients, jackfruit.
This version of soup that tastes like tacos is based on my recipe for Jackfruit & Black Bean Tacos, which I make quite frequently.
Vegan Taco Soup is really easy to make and is perfect for quick meals or making ahead of time and freezing for later.
Jackfruit is a very versatile ingredient.
While the ripe fruit is very sweet and tastes like Juicy Fruit gum, unripe young jackfruit has a relatively neutral flavor.
The great thing about it is the texture.
Some people describe it as being like pulled pork or shredded chicken.
As you can see in the photos, it comes in large chunks in cans packed in water or brine.
Skip the kind in syrup which is only good for desserts.
The chunks pull apart into stringy segments.
You’ll also find some small seeds in pods which are edible.
But if you don’t like the texture of them, you can discard them.
Tasted by itself, the jackfruit has a slightly sour flavor.
However, once you brown it and season it, it will seem meaty rather than fruity.
And more and more markets are selling it due to its popularity.
It’s perfect for adding extra texture to Vegan Taco Soup.
Vegan Taco Soup has six main ingredients, plus water, salt, and a little oil for sauteing.
- Black Beans
- Taco Seasoning
I took a shortcut for this recipe and used store-bought Taco Seasoning, but you can easily make this spice blend at home.
In fact, a great way to save money is to make a batch of Homemade Taco Seasoning and keep it in a jar in your pantry. Then you’re always ready to make Vegan Taco Soup (or tacos, of course).
Make Vegan Taco Soup your own by adding your favorite toppings.
While it’s delicious as is, it’s fun to serve this soup with different garnishes.
You can put them on the table in bowls so your guests can choose what they want.
I love topping my Vegan Taco Soup with cilantro, avocado slices, and crushed tortilla chips.
Other options include green onions, vegan cheese and sour cream, and black olives.
The possibilities are endless!
Vegan Taco Soup reheats well and can be made in advance and frozen.
I like to place individual servings in glass containers with lids.
First allow the soup to cool.
Then fill your jars or food storage containers about 3/4 of the way full and put them in your freezer with labels.
Then when you want to eat one, place the frozen container in the refrigerator to defrost the night before reheating.
It’s perfect for a quick and healthy lunch or dinner.
Now let’s make Vegan Taco Soup!
Vegan Taco Soup Recipe with Jackfruit
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can jackfruit in brine (not syrup) (20 ounces)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn (15 ounces) or 1-1/2 cups frozen
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (15 ounces) with their juice
- 1 Tablespoon Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- toppings such as chopped cilantro, sliced green onions, sliced black olives, sliced avocado, vegan cheese or sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips for serving (optional)
- Rinse and drain the jackfruit. Take each chunk and squeeze out any excess liquid. Use your fingers to shred the jackfruit, if desired.
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until it starts to become soft and translucent.
- Then add the jackfruit to the pot and cook until it's lightly browned.
- Next add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, Taco Seasoning, and water. Stir to combine. Allow the soup to simmer until heated through and slightly thickened.
- Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings, if desired, and enjoy!