Silken Tofu Scramble is easy to make in 15 minutes with shelf-stable boxed tofu and flavorful spices. If you miss scrambled eggs, this is the recipe for you.
But soft and creamy silken tofu is another great option. While the flavor is bland like regular tofu, the texture is perfectly suited for scrambling.
And it's easy to take this pantry ingredient and season it with spices (including turmeric for yellow color) so it's reminiscent of the scrambled eggs you grew up with.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It only requires pantry ingredients and is ready to eat in 15 minutes.
- You can add in your favorite veggies, spices, and herbs to make it your own.
- It's a delicious vegan alternative to scrambled eggs.
Silken tofu: Soft, firm, or extra firm silken tofu can be used for this recipe. Be sure to buy silken tofu which is commonly sold in shelf-stable boxes, rather than regular block tofu from the refrigerated case. For a firmer texture, choose firm or extra firm silken tofu. For a softer texture, choose soft silken tofu.
Kala Namak: Also known as black salt, this salt is actually pink in color. It adds an eggy taste to tofu scrambles.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- In a small skillet, break up the tofu into large chunks using a spatula.
- Fold in the seasonings.
- Allow the tofu to cook down, stirring occasionally.
- Pull back a section of the tofu. When the pan appears dry and the excess liquid has cooked out, the scramble is ready to eat. Season with salt and black pepper and enjoy immediately.
If the scramble appears watery when you transfer it to a plate, return it to the skillet and cook it for a few more minutes until the extra liquid is cooked off.
Think of this Silken Tofu Scramble recipe as a starting point for creating your own unique egg substitute. It's easy to add other ingredients like the following for flavor and texture.
- Saute your favorite vegetables along with the tofu such onions, mushrooms, red bell pepper, or spinach.
- Add additional seasonings like curry powder, crushed red chili flakes, or thyme.
- Top your scramble with a sprinkle of fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, basil, or tarragon.
- Stir in some vegan cheese shreds.
- Serve it with hot sauce or ketchup.
Scrambled silken tofu can be served in place of scrambled eggs with all of your favorite breakfast and brunch dishes. Or try it with a salad for an easy dinner option.
While best enjoyed right away, leftover scramble can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Silken tofu packaged in aseptic boxes doesn't require refrigeration and can be found on the shelf in the Asian section of most supermarkets. It can also be found packed in water in the refrigerated case with the firm tofu.
While silken tofu isn't packed in water like the block tofu found in the refrigerated section, if you open the box and see excess liquid, carefully drain it off before removing the tofu.
While both silken tofu and regular tofu are made from soy milk, in silken tofu the soy milk is simmered without curdling the milk, so it remains "silky" and very soft. Learn more in A Guide to Tofu Types and What to Do With Them.
More silken tofu recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy silken tofu? Try these easy vegan recipes:
- Silken Tofu Salad
- Creamy Vegan Garlic Pasta
- Vegan Cottage Cheese
- Vegan Olivier Salad
- Silken Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Pie
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Silken Tofu Scramble
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Open the box of tofu and pour off any liquid. Add the tofu to the skillet.
- Using a spatula, break up the tofu. Fold in the turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, kala namak, and nutritional yeast.
- Allow the tofu to cook, stirring occasionally. Use the spatula to pull back a section of the tofu from the bottom of the skillet. If the pan appears dry, the scramble is ready. If liquid pools in the area, continue cooking.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.