Learn how to make the best tofu "scrambled eggs" loaded with your favorite vegetables and topped with homemade pesto in under 30 minutes. Serve this protein-rich dish with toast, fruit, or roasted breakfast potatoes for weekend brunch or "breakfast for dinner" any night of the week.
There's nothing like a leisurely weekend breakfast with your favorite foods like waffles or easy vegan pancakes and large cups of coffee or tea. And when I want a savory meal instead of sweet, this easy tofu scramble recipe is my go-to.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's a flavorful vegan alternative to scrambled eggs.
- You can make it in about half an hour.
- The pesto gives it a Mediterranean flair and makes this dish really special.
While you can use whatever vegetables you like to make this tofu scramble, I like to use onion, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach. Other options include red bell pepper and chopped greens like kale or Swiss chard. Then you will need the following:
- Tofu: I prefer to use extra-firm tofu. If using firm, I recommend using use a simple tool called a tofu press to remove the excess liquid.
- Turmeric: This spice gives the tofu a subtle flavor and a yellow hue reminiscent of scrambled eggs.
- Nutritional yeast: This deactivated yeast is a salt-free seasoning that gives the tofu a savory flavor.
- Kala namak black salt (optional): While not actually black in color, a few pinches of this salt gives the tofu an eggy flavor.
You will also need a few ingredients to make the homemade vegan pesto sauce:
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh basil leaves
- Lemon juice
- Pine nuts
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
If you would rather make a nut-free pesto, hemp seeds are a great substitute for the pine nuts. Or if pine nuts are unavailable or too expensive, try walnuts in their place.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Prepare the pesto in a food processor and set aside.
- In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the spinach and mushrooms, or your choice of vegetables, and continue to saute.
- Once the veggies are soft, break the tofu in chunks and add it to the mixture along with the seasonings.
- Cook everything together, using your spatula to break up the tofu, until heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the pesto.
While this dish is delicious on its own for breakfast or dinner, you can also try it with sides such as the following:
- Toasted vegan gluten-free sourdough from Bread SRSLY.
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Tomato Onion Salad
- Watermelon Tomato Salad
- Mediterranean Yellow Rice
Leftover tofu scramble can be covered and refrigerated for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or in a skillet over medium-low heat until heated through.
While not an exact replacement for scrambled eggs, the seasonings and texture are similar. It's a good choice for vegans and those avoiding eggs.
Kala Namak, also called Himalayan black salt, is made from Himalayan pink salt which is then sealed in a jar with charcoal and fired in a kiln or furnace.
This savory salt-free seasoning has a slightly cheesy or nutty flavor. It's often used in vegan cheese sauces, on popcorn, and in scrambled tofu.
More unique tofu recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy tofu? Try some of these vegan favorites:
And for even more delicious vegan recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook Group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Best Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe with Pesto
FOR THE PESTO:
FOR THE TOFU SCRAMBLE:
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup white or brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, roughly chopped, or baby spinach leaves
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, (drained and pressed to remove excess liquid)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- a few pinches Kala Namak black salt, (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the pesto by combining all the pest ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until combined but not completely smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and slightly translucent.
- Next add the garlic, mushrooms, and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu over the vegetables and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, and Kala Namak (if using), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine. Cook until the tofu is heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the pesto, and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.