Tater tot lovers, this one’s for you! You won’t believe how delicious they are in this Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole. Plus this vegan and gluten-free recipe is easy to make in under an hour!
When I eat them, I like to put a little of each on my fork so that the flavors and texture combine in each bite.
One day I decided to combine both elements by layering frozen tater tots and tofu scramble in a casserole.
And that’s how this Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole was born!
Tater Tots are a favorite American comfort food.
Tater tots always remind me of the dining halls in college.
I remember being shocked by how much food was available in the mornings for breakfast, including donuts, every cereal ever created, and tater tots.
It’s not surprising that I gained a few pounds that year.
But now I know that tater tots are a “sometimes” food.
And I don’t feel badly about enjoying them every now and then, especially on the weekend for brunch when I make a tofu scramble tater tot casserole.
Did you know that tater tots were developed in 1953 by the founders of Ore-Ida?
They came up with their formula when looking for a way to use up the potato scraps from their french fries.
Check out the article from The Daily Meal and learn more things you didn’t know about tater tots.
Perfect for brunch
I’ve served this tater tot hotdish to some of my friends for brunch, and it was a big hit, even among those who don’t normally eat tofu.
And you can customize it by using whatever vegetables you like in this recipe.
For example, if you’re not a fan of mushrooms or spinach, leave them out, or try using other vegetables instead such as zucchini.
Plus you can add other ingredients such as black olives or pinto or black beans.
In addition, you can top the tofu scramble tater tot casserole with sliced or cubed avocado and serve it with ketchup or hot sauce.
Making Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole is really easy.
The first step is to make the tofu scramble by sauteing the vegetables, then adding crumbled tofu.
I like to season my scrambles with turmeric and nutritional yeast.
You can also add Kala Namak salt, also known as Indian black salt, which is a pinkish-gray salt with a natural egg-y taste.
I find a little goes a long way.
It’s optional in this recipe, so don’t worry if you don’t want to buy any.
Then layer the tater tots in a casserole dish and top them with the tofu mixture.
I enjoy adding shredded vegan cheese on top before baking the casserole, but it will still taste delicious without it.
This tofu scramble tater tot casserole reheats very well, so feel free to make it in advance.
And if you have any leftovers, you can heat individual servings in the microwave the next day, making it the perfect meal to take with you to work.
I also enjoy it for dinner.
After all, you can never go wrong with breakfast for dinner (brinner)!
Making brunch for friends?
Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
If you plan on making this breakfast casserole in advance, it reheats very well. In fact, I like the leftovers even better. I bake it according to the directions the day before, then cover and refrigerate it. When you’re ready to eat, reheat the casserole in the oven until heated through.
In addition, individual servings can be frozen in glass containers for several months. Defrost and reheat in the microwave.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Tablespooon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (white or brown) sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped (or use baby spinach)
- 1 pound extra firm tofu drained and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch black salt (Kala Namak) (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan Cheddar-style cheese shredded, plus extra for topping (optional)
- 35 frozen tater tots (or more to fill your casserole dish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu over the vegetables and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak (if using), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of non-dairy shreds.
- Arrange the tater tots in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu mixture over the tater tots in an even layer. Top with an extra sprinkle of shreds, if desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Enjoy as is or serve with ketchup or hot sauce.