Tater tot lovers, this one’s for you! You won’t believe how delicious they are in this Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole. Plus it’s easy to make in under an hour!
This recipe combines both elements by layering frozen tater tots and tofu scramble in a casserole.
Tater tots always remind me of the dining halls in college.
I remember being shocked by how much food was available in the mornings for breakfast, including donuts, every cereal ever created, and tater tots.
It’s not surprising that I gained a few pounds that year.
But now I know that tater tots are a “sometimes” food, so I don’t feel badly about enjoying them every now and then, especially on the weekend for brunch.
And if you have any leftovers, you can heat individual servings in the microwave the next day, making it the perfect meal to take with you to work.
I also enjoy it for dinner.
After all, you can never go wrong with breakfast for dinner (brinner)!
I’ve served this Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole to some of my friends for brunch, and it was a big hit, even among those who don’t normally eat tofu.
You can use whatever vegetables you like in this recipe.
If you’re not a fan of mushrooms or spinach, leave them out, or try using other vegetables instead.
Kala Namak salt, also known as Indian black salt, is a pinkish-gray salt with a natural egg-y taste. I find a little goes a long way. It’s optional in this recipe, so don’t worry if you don’t want to buy any.
Making brunch for friends?
Now let’s make Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole!
Tofu Scramble Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 Tablespooon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms (white or brown) sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped (or use baby spinach)
- 1 pound extra firm tofu drained and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch black salt (Kala Namak) (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan Cheddar-style cheese shredded, plus extra for topping (optional)
- 35 frozen tater tots (or more to fill your casserole dish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu over the vegetables and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak (if using), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of non-dairy shreds.
- Arrange the tater tots in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu mixture over the tater tots in an even layer. Top with an extra sprinkle of shreds, if desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Enjoy as is or serve with ketchup or hot sauce.