It's easy to turn russet potatoes into crispy hand cut french fries when you make them in an air fryer with only a few spritzes of oil. Season them with a homemade salt blend for ultimate flavor.
Almost everyone loves french fries, but the ones at restaurants can be loaded with fat and salt. But with the help of an air fryer, it's simple to make fresh fries from scratch at home without buying frozen fries.
While small waxy potatoes like Yukon gold are perfect for making air fryer potato wedges, russet potatoes are the best choice when it comes to making hand cut fries. Not only are they the right shape, you can leave the skin on instead of peeling them for extra flavor and texture.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make healthier french fries at home whenever the craving strikes.
- They are crispy without using a lot of oil.
- The homemade seasoning salt blend adds extra flavor.
Air fryer hand cut fries are best made with russet potatoes. I prefer to leave the skin on, but you can peel them, if you like.
You'll also need a little olive oil or avocado oil. You can either purchase cooking oil spray, or use your favorite oil in a sprayer/mister bottle.
For the seasoned salt, you only need a handful of ingredients which may already be in your pantry:
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Or create your own seasoning blend with your favorite herbs and spices such as paprika, curry powder, or Italian seasoning.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Slice the potato into equal sized fries.
- Soak the potato slices in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. This will remove excess starch so that your fries get extra crispy. For best results, do not skip this step.
- Dry the potatoes with a kitchen towel.
- Place the potato slices in a medium bowl and spritz with oil. Use your hands to toss well to coat.
- Season and toss again.
- Place the fries in the air fryer basket or tray in a single layer.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking half way through, until the fries are crispy and browned.
- Enjoy immediately with your favorite dipping sauces such as ketchup, Vegan Ranch, or Vegan Thousand Island Dressing.
For the crispiest air fryer french fries, follow these simple tips:
- Slice the potatoes into uniform sized fries as much as possible so that they cook evenly.
- Take the time to soak the fries to remove the excess starch.
- Pat the fries dry before tossing them with oil.
Use a chef's knife to slice a potato in half lengthwise on a cutting board. Place each half cut-side down. Slice both lengthwise into ¼-inch thick strips. Then stack about half of the strips and slice them lengthwise again into ¼-inch fries. Repeat with the remaining potato.
The key to getting salt to stick to fries is by seasoning them before you cook them. First toss the potatoes with oil to coat. Then add the salt and toss well again.
For best results, spread out the fries in a single layer in the air fryer basket or tray. This will allow even flow of hot air so that they get crispy. If you are making more than one serving and are using a small basket-style air fryer, it's best to cook them in batches.
More air fryer recipes
Whether you are a beginner to this small appliance or a seasoned pro, you can make a wide variety of vegan food in an air fryer.
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Air Fryer Hand Cut Fries with Seasoned Salt
For the French Fries:
- 1 Russet potato, (I keep the skin on, but you can peel the potato, if you prefer.)
- 5 sprays olive oil or avocado oil cooking spray, (You may want to use a little more or less depending on the size of your potato)
- Slice the potato into thin strips approximately ¼-inch thick.
- Place the potato slices in a bowl of water to soak for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Seasoned Salt by mixing the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Drain the potato slices and dry well with kitchen towels.
- Place the potato slices in a dry bowl. Spritz with about 5 sprays of cooking oil. Use your hands to toss to coat.
- Add your desired amount of Seasoned Salt to the potato slices and use your hands to toss to coat.
- Place the potato slices in the basket of your air fryer and spread them out as evenly as possible.
- Cook on 390-400°F for 15 to 20 minutes, tossing half way through, until the fries are lightly browned and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.