Creamy, tangy, and slightly sweet, it's easy to make Vegan Thousand Island Dressing in minutes with only 5 ingredients. It's perfect on salads, sandwiches, and as a dipping sauce.
Nothing beats a versatile sauce or dressing when it comes to adding incredible flavor to your favorite dishes. And this Vegan Thousand Island Dressing is one I turn to often.
I love it on a big meal sized salad made with assorted greens, veggies, and Pan Fried Chickpeas or Walnut Meat Crumbles. Plus it's my favorite "secret sauce" for Vegan Chickpea Burgers. It can even stand in for Vegan Ranch as a dipping sauce for raw veggies and French fries.
And since it comes together in less than 5 minutes with only 5 ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, you can enjoy it whenever you want without splurging on store bought versions!
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's incredibly creamy and flavorful yet only requires 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- You can make it in 5 minutes and enjoy it right away.
- It tastes wonderful on a variety of foods such as salads and sandwiches, and can be used as a dip.
Ingredients and substitutions
Vegan mayo: Made without eggs, the ingredients among different brands of vegan mayo will vary. My favorite is Follow Your Heart's Vegenaise, which is available in different varieties such as Grapeseed Oil, Avocado Oil, and Soy-Free. I also like Trader Joe's Vegan Mayo Spread & Dressing made with avocado oil and aquafaba (chickpea liquid).
Pickle relish: While many recipes call specifically for sweet pickle relish, you can use either sweet or dill.
Lemon juice: If fresh lemon juice isn't available, bottled lemon juice or white wine vinegar can be substituted.
Paprika: While I use sweet paprika in this recipe, smoked or hot paprika can be used if you prefer your dressing to have a little kick.
Vegan Thousand Island Dressing is easy to customize to make it your own. Add any of the following ingredients, to taste.
Onions: If you enjoy onions in your dressing, minced sweet red or white onions can be added. Or use ½ teaspoon onion powder.
Chili sauce: For a spicy version, add a little Sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
Other add-ins: Stir in chopped red bell pepper, black olives, or fresh chives.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Place the vegan mayo, ketchup, pickle relish, lemon juice, and seasonings in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix with a spoon or fork until well combined. Use right away or refrigerate in an airtight container for later.
Vegan Thousand Island Dressing can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
- Try it on a simple green salad, California Guacamole Salad, or Butternut Squash Spinach Salad.
- It's also delicious as a sandwich spread with Vegan Tuna Salad or on Baked Chickpea Burgers.
- Or use it as a dipping sauce for Air Fryer Hand Cut Fries, Air Fryer Home Fries, or carrot and celery sticks.
Homemade Vegan Thousand Island Dressing should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Do not freeze.
While Russian dressing and Thousand Island are similar, Russian dressing contains horseradish and is typically less sweet than Thousand Island.
While mayonnaise is made from oil and eggs, vegan mayo is made from oil and and other plant-based ingredients. Some brands include vinegar and/or lemon juice and soy or aquafaba (chickpea liquid).
More vegan dressing recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Vegan Thousand Island Dressing Recipe
- Place all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix with a spoon or a fork until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings, as needed. Enjoy right away or refrigerate in an airtight container for later.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.