Three ingredients, an air fryer, and 15 minutes are all you need to make easy, flavorful Asian style green beans. Serve them with rice and crispy tofu for a restaurant inspired meal at home.
While you may have originally purchased an air fryer to make healthier French fries, there are so many foods you can prepare in it, including vegetables. And since it works by circulating hot air around the food, it's a quick and easy way to cook.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's super flavorful yet only requires 3 ingredients readily available at major supermarkets.
- The veggies are crispy on the outside while using very little oil.
- It's a nice change of pace from your usual vegetable side dishes.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Fresh green beans: While you can use frozen green beans in this recipe and cook them longer, I recommend fresh for better texture.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, liquid aminos, or coconut aminos.
- Sesame oil: This provides a nutty flavor and aroma. A little goes a long way.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Break the ends off the clean green beans, then snap them in half.
- Place them in a resealable bag or container and add tamari and sesame oil. Toss well to evenly coat the beans.
- Air fry, tossing half way through.
To make spicy Asian style green beans, add 2 cloves of minced garlic plus ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes to the tamari and sesame oil. Then proceed with air frying.
Air fryer tip
For best results, do not crowd the basket. If you want to make more than 8 ounces of green beans, cook the beans in batches.
Keep the earlier batches warm by transferring them to a plate and covering them aluminum foil, or placing them in a container with a lid.
Do you love air frying?
Whether you are new to using this handy appliance or experienced and looking for more recipes, check out my recommendations for the best air fryer cookbooks for vegans.
This recipe pairs well with these easy Asian-inspired recipes:
Leftovers can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Enjoy cold or reheated.
You can use either a basket-style air fryer or a convection-oven air fryer. As each style and model varies when it comes to cooking times and temperatures, be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions.
Yes, and you can use this recipe as a starting point to prepare asparagus, sliced bell peppers, broccoli florets, and other vegetables. Start with less time and check part way through cooking so you don't overcook them.
Compared to deep frying, cooking food in an air fryer results in fewer calories and less fat.
More delicious green bean recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy green beans? Try some of these vegan favorites:
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Air Fryer Green Beans
- Break off the ends of the green beans, then snap them in half.
- Place the green beans in a resealable plastic bag or a container with a lid. Add the tamari and sesame oil and shake to coat.
- Put the green beans in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 390 or 400 degrees (depending on your air fryer model) for 10 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Carefully remove from the air fryer and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.