Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Garlic is a flavorful side dish that’s easy to make in about 15 minutes. You’ll love these perfectly cooked green beans topped with garlicky tomatoes, pine nuts, and a squeeze of lemon. And this recipe is naturally vegan and gluten free.
I love green beans, especially with garlic.
Perhaps the worst thing you can do to fresh green beans is to overcook them.
Not only do they not taste as good, they turn an off-putting color.
However, the easiest way to avoid this problem is to steam them for just a couple of minutes until they are bright green, then immediately transfer them to a bowl of ice water to “shock” them.
If you don’t have a steaming device, don’t worry.
You can cook them in a shallow pan of boiling water, or even in the microwave.
I usually opt to cook mine in a saute pan in about an inch of simmering water.
Then I carefully pour out the water when I’m done, dry the pan, and use it again for cooking the garlic and tomatoes.
That way I only have one pan to wash.
If you’re interested, you can learn more about blanching vegetables in this article from The Kitchn.
This method works really well when making Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Garlic.
I love adding an extra layer of flavor to green beans with garlic, tomatoes, pine nuts, and a squeeze of lemon.
And one of the best parts is that it’s so quick to make.
After the green beans are blanched and cooled in ice water, it’s time to saute the garlic and tomatoes.
This only takes a couple of minutes.
Then the green beans are added to the tomato mixture along with pine nuts, lemon juice, and a little salt.
Everything is mixed through, and you’re ready to eat!
I prefer to use cherry or grape tomatoes in this recipe, but if you only have a large tomato, that will work, too.
And if you’re allergic to pine nuts or are unable to find them, you can either leave them out or substitute chopped pistachios or slivered almonds instead.
Green beans are very nutritious and easy to incorporate into your diet year round.
They are very high in fiber and contain protein.
And they contain vitamins A, C, K, B6, and folic acid.
Learn more by reading 7 Impressive Benefits of Green Beans.
Now let’s make Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Garlic!
Sauteed Green Beans with Tomatoes and Garlic
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes quartered
- 2 Tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 squeeze lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Steam or blanch the green beans in boiling water for about 2 minutes, until they are bright green. Immediately transfer the beans to a bowl of ice water, then drain when cool.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Next add the tomatoes to the pan and saute until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the green beans to the pan and toss to heat through, being careful not to overcook.
- Finally, add the pine nuts, a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt, to taste.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!