Easy to make in 15 minutes, light and refreshing Hearts of Palm Salad features avocado, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes in a lemon dressing. It pairs well with everything from Mediterranean to Mexican-inspired dishes. Or enjoy it as a light lunch with some crusty bread.
If you enjoy the flavors of avocados and cucumber and tomato salad and want to try something a little different, this Hearts of Palm Salad for you. It's lightly dressed in a lemony vinaigrette so that the fresh flavors of the vegetables really shine.
And if you've never tried hearts of palm, they are very easy to work with and have a mild taste similar to artichoke hearts. Often used to make vegan hearts of palm ceviche, they may become your favorite salad ingredient.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It takes less than 15 minutes to make and goes well with just about everything.
- It only requires 6 ingredients, plus salt.
- This salad with hearts of palm is a unique twist on the classic combination of avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes.
Cucumber: I prefer using an English cucumber, but any variety is fine.
Tomatoes: Cherry or grape tomatoes are my preference, but larger firm tomatoes like Roma can be substituted.
Hearts of palm: Available in cans and jars, they can be found at many supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and other specialty vegetables. I prefer to buy ones that are organic and sustainably sourced.
It's easy to customize this Hearts of Palm Salad to make it your own.
- Add other vegetables like sliced radishes, sweet bell peppers, and red onions
- Substitute lime juice or red wine vinegar for the fresh lemon juice
- Use avocado oil instead of olive oil
- Add fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Slice the hearts of palm into circles and place them in a medium bowl. It's okay if some of them are soft and fall apart. It's not important that they keep their shape.
- Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocados, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt to the bowl.
- Carefully toss to combine. Taste and add salt, if needed. Enjoy right away, or cover and refrigerate for later.
Hearts of Palm Salad can be eaten on its own as a light meal or served as a starter or side. And it's wonderful to take to potlucks and picnics.
It's also perfect as a light lunch or dinner with some warm Bread SRSLY sourdough bread. (Use code VEGGIESSAVETHEDAY for 15% off your first order.)
Leftover salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days, but it's best enjoyed the day it was made. It should not be frozen.
Hearts of palm are the inner portion of the stem of the cabbage palm, which is Florida's official state tree. This vegetable resembles white asparagus stalks and is delicately flavored.
Their flavor is mild and similar to artichoke hearts, white asparagus, and water chestnuts.
They are available in both cans and jars at most supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and canned beans.
More vegan no lettuce salad recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Hearts of Palm Salad
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Carefully fold to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for later.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.