Creamy avocado and hearts of palm team up with cucumber and cherry tomatoes in this unique and refreshing vegan summer salad. Easy to make in 15 minutes, it pairs well with everything from Mediterranean to Mexican-inspired dishes. Or enjoy it as a light lunch with some crusty bread.
If you're an avocado lover and want to try something different, this is the salad for you. It's lightly dressed so that the fresh flavors really shine.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's light and refreshing and takes less than 15 minutes to make.
- It only requires 6 ingredients, plus salt.
- It's a unique twist on the classic combination of avocado, cucumber, and tomatoes.
To make this recipe you will need cucumber, cherry tomatoes, avocado, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and, of course, hearts of palm. Available in cans and jars, they can be found at many supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and other specialty vegetables. I prefer to buy ones that are organic and sustainably sourced.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Slice the hearts of palm into circles. It's okay if some of them are soft and fall apart.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Carefully toss to combine everything together.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.
This salad can be eaten on its own as a light meal or served as a starter or side. And it's wonderful to take to potlucks and picnics.
Leftover salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days, but it's best enjoyed the day it was made. It should not be frozen.
Hearts of palm are the inner portion of the stem of the cabbage palm, which is Florida's official state tree. This vegetable resembles white asparagus stalks and is delicately flavored.
Their flavor is mild and similar to artichoke hearts, white asparagus, and water chestnuts.
They are available in both cans and jars at most supermarkets near the artichoke hearts and canned beans.
More unique salad recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Avocado Salad with Hearts of Palm
- 1 can hearts of palm, (14 ounces) rinsed, patted dry, and sliced into circles (don't worry if they fall apart.)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, sliced into half moons
- 1 dry pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice, (about one lemon)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl. Carefully fold to combine.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for later.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Grab your FREE Vegan Holiday Recipes eBook