Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Soup is comforting and easy to make. You can walk away and let your pressure cooker do all the work.
I love making soup in my Instant Pot. Not only is an electric pressure cooker easy to use, it's great for busy people.
Imagine making recipes like Vegan Potato Leek Soup, Vegan Potato Corn Chowder, and Vegan Wild Rice Soup and not having to be in the same room. There's no stirring or making sure the pot doesn't boil over.
And for soups using dried beans or legumes, they cook in less time than they would on the stove. That's one of the reasons why I love this Instant Pot Lentil Soup.
I usually have everything needed on hand. And if you're missing an ingredient or two, don't worry because this recipe is highly adaptable.
Of course you'll need some brown or green lentils. The nice thing about cooking lentils is you don't need to soak them first.
(Note: don't try making this recipe with red lentils since they have a much softer texture when cooked.)
Like many other classic recipes, this one starts off with a mirepoix of onions, carrots, and celery, along with garlic.
And for seasoning, you only need a bay leaf and dried thyme. Fresh thyme would work wonderfully, too, if you have some.
In addition, I love potatoes in lentil soup. I usually use gold potatoes, but white or red work just as well.
And I like to finish the soup off with a handful or two of fresh spinach. The hot liquid from the Instant Pot Lentil Soup wilts it down with a few stirs.
- Use the saute function to cook the onion, garlic, carrots and celery until lightly softened.
- Next add the bay leaf, thyme, potatoes, lentils, and vegetable broth or water. Give everything a quick stir.
- Then close the lid and set the timer for 7 minutes. Keep in mind that it will take time for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure before the 7 minutes start. After the 7 minutes is up, it will take some time for the pressure to release naturally.
- After it does, remove the lid, and stir in the spinach. Add some salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Stove top instructions
If you don't have an electric pressure cooker, you can make this recipe on the stove. Add an extra cup of liquid and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are soft. Then stir in the spinach.
Freezing and reheating
I like to freeze individual portions in mason jars. You can fill the glass jar with cooled soup, allowing some room at the top for expansion. Don't forget to label your lid so you and everyone else in your house knows what's inside.
Then when I want to eat one of the portions, I transfer it to the refrigerator to defrost. And since the Instant Pot Lentil Soup tends to thicken when stored, I'll add it to a sauce pan with a little water before reheating it.
A complete meal
You can serve the soup with a green salad and crusty bread, or simply enjoy a big bowl on its own. Lentils are extremely nutritious and help you feel full, even though they are low in calories.
Or try these other lentil soup recipes:
And for even more delicious vegan recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook Group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Instant Pot Lentil Soup (Vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, for sauteing (may use a splash of water if avoiding oil)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 ½ cups gold potato, diced (or white or red potato)
- 2 cups lentils, brown or green
- 5 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Select the Saute function and add the olive oil to the Instant Pot.
- Saute the onions until they are softened and slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds more.
- Next add the carrots and celery and saute for a few minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme, potatoes, lentils, and vegetable broth (or water) and stir to combine.
- Close the lid and set the timer for 7 minutes on Manual (Pressure Cook on High).
- Allow the pressure to release naturally.
- After the pressure has released, remove the lid and stir in the spinach.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.