Looking for a salad that's as delicious as the ones at your favorite Italian restaurant? This Marinated Artichoke Hearts Salad is for you. It's loaded with flavor from red onions, black olives, and a zesty homemade dressing. Make it in 15 minutes and enjoy it as a starter or light meal.
Have you ever wondered why salads at restaurants tend to taste better than the ones we make at home? Part of the reason is because chefs are adept at using seasonings. But there's no reason why we can't use their tricks and make ours just as tasty, like this simple salad that's packed with mouthwatering flavor.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make it in 15 minutes.
- The homemade dressing tastes better than store bought and only requires 5 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
- You can pair this delicious salad with all of your favorite dishes.
The salad itself is comprised of four elements:
- Mixed salad greens
- Marinated artichoke hearts from a jar
- Black olives
- Red onion
Feel free to add or subtract components as you like. For example, you can add chickpeas or cannellini beans, leave off the olives, and add roasted red pepper strips.
How to tame a strong onion
If your onion is too sharp for your liking, soak the slices in a bowl of ice water for a few minutes. After 10 or 15 minutes, the onion will be much milder. Simply dry them off with a kitchen towel and continue with the recipe.
And you only need a few ingredients to make the dressing. Simply add the following to a small jar, close the lid, and shake until combined:
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
Italian seasoning is a flavorful blend of herbs and spices commonly found in Italian dishes. Using a pre-made mix you can purchase at the supermarket or online is very convenient.
Or you can easily make it yourself at home by combining equal parts of the dried herbs basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme, and rosemary. It's delicious in pasta sauces, salad dressings, and roasted vegetables.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
This salad is perfect as a starter, especially with other Italian or Mediterranean-inspired dishes. Or pair it with soup or some crusty bread. These are some of my favorites:
- Pasta such as Spaghetti with Zucchini or Eggplant Pasta
- Soup such as Vegan Vegetable Soup or Creamy Lemon Orzo Soup
- Warm bread like Bread SRSLY vegan gluten-free sourdough from San Francisco (I buy several loaves at a time online and keep them in the freezer.)
Store the dressing separately from the salad if making it in advance or if you have leftovers. The dressing will last up to 3 days refrigerated.
Shake well before using. If the oil has solidified, place the container of dressing on your kitchen counter at room temperature for a few minutes.
Generally the ones in jars have been marinated, making them perfect for salads. The artichoke hearts that come in cans are usually packed in water and lack the flavor we're looking for in this recipe.
While the ingredients will vary from brand to brand, usually they are marinated in a combination of oil, vinegar or lemon juice, and herbs and spices such as garlic and oregano.
If you aren't a fan of olives, capers are a great substitute since they also have a briny, salty flavor. And if you don't care for either one, simply leave them out.
More unique green salad recipes
Looking for more salad recipes that are easy to make and just as delicious as those offered in restaurants? Try some of these easy vegan favorites:
And for even more delicious vegan recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook Group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Marinated Artichoke Hearts Salad
For the dressing:
- Add the dressing ingredients to a small jar and shake to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve the salads.
- To make the salads, divide the mixed salad greens among 4 plates or bowls.
- Top each salad with an equal amount of marinated artichoke hearts, sliced black olives, and red onion slices.
- To serve, shake the jar of dressing and pour the desired amount on each salad.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.