Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Butternut Squash combines two favorite vegetables in a delicious easy side dish. This healthy recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
One of the things I really like about this Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash recipe is the colors.
While I love Brussels sprouts, when they are roasted they lose their vibrant green appearance.
However, the bright orange of the butternut squash makes the dinner plate a little more exciting, don't you think?
And shallots add a subtle flavor that doesn't overwhelm the other vegetables.
If you've never cooked with shallot, it's similar to onion and garlic, but with a milder flavor.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash is easy to make.
Another great thing about this recipe is your oven does most of the work.
So you can leave it for 20 minutes while you prepare other dishes, give it a quick toss, then leave it again for another 15 or 20 minutes.
And I've found that it really doesn't matter if you cook it longer.
Burnt Brussels sprouts taste delicious!
Plus you only need a few ingredients to make this side dish:
Salt and pepper
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash is a versatile side dish.
It's easy to make on a weeknight and also perfect for holiday dinners.
And don't be surprised if your guests ask for seconds!
You can also serve it with pasta for a change from your usual green salad.
The flavors compliment Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil especially well.
Now let's make Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed, seeds removed
- 1 shallot, cut crosswise and separated into rings
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the vegetables on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Drizzle the vegetables with the oil, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to toss so that the vegetables are evenly coated with the oil.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes until vegetables are fork tender and browned, stirring half way through.