This vegan Mediterranean-inspired salad is bursting with refreshing summer flavors along with tangy cubes of marinated feta-style tofu. Enjoy it as a light meal or starter with your favorite pasta or grilled dishes.
If you're looking for a way to celebrate summer produce, nothing beats a salad made with farm-fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil. Not only is it easy to prepare, you only need a few ingredients to make it.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's full of flavor yet only requires 8 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
- Most of the preparation time is inactive while the tofu marinates.
- It's dairy-free but has similar flavors to salads made with feta cheese.
This recipe is made with ingredients you are most likely familiar with, like cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, dried oregano, and olive oil and red wine vinegar. However, there is one magical addition I highly recommend searching out: Coconut vinegar.
Made from the sap of coconut blossoms, it doesn't actually taste like coconut. It has a sweeter, less acidic flavor than apple cider vinegar. I love it on salads, and it gives the Tofu Feta in this recipe a tangy flavor that isn't overpowering.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- To prepare the Tofu Feta, place the tofu cubes in a resealable glass container or zipper bag. Add the coconut vinegar, oregano, and salt. Seal the container, then gently shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To make the salad, place the tofu cubes, tomatoes, and cucumbers in a bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
- Add fresh basil, salt and pepper, then toss and enjoy.
For maximum flavor, prepare the tofu a day or two in advance.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.
While this Mediterranean salad is delicious on its own, you can also try serving it with any of the following:
- Warm crusty bread like my favorite vegan gluten-free Bread SRSLY sourdough from San Francisco. I mail order it and store it in my freezer.
- Pita bread and homemade hummus
- Marinated olives and dolmas (stuffed grape leaves)
- Spaghetti with 15 Minute Tomato Paste Pasta Sauce
- Mediterranean Yellow Rice
Storing and freezing
While this salad is best enjoyed fresh, it will last covered and refrigerated for about 2 days. If kept separate from the salad, Tofu Feta will last up to 4 days refrigerated.
Tofu is made from cooked soybeans, so it isn't actually raw. It's fine to eat it straight from the package after draining off any excess liquid.
If you are using extra-firm tofu, I recommend draining and pressing it before making the Tofu Feta for better flavor and texture. However, you can find super-firm tofu in many supermarkets which does not require pressing.
Coconut vinegar is sweeter and more mild/less acidic than apple cider vinegar. If you can't find coconut vinegar, you can substitute a mixture of equal parts apple cider vinegar and rice wine vinegar for similar results.
More ways to enjoy Tofu Feta
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Mediterranean Cucumber Tomato Salad with Tofu Feta
For the Tofu Feta:
For the salad:
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, (or 2-3 Persian cucumbers) sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh basil leaves
- To prepare the Tofu Feta, place the tofu cubes in a resealable glass container or zipper bag. Add the coconut vinegar, oregano, and salt. Seal the container, then gently shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for maximum flavor.
- When you're ready to make the salad, add the Tofu Feta, tomatoes, and cucumbers to a salad bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Add the fresh basil leaves and toss to combine the ingredients. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately.
- Prepare the tofu feta a day or two in advance for maximum flavor.
- For removing the excess water from the package of tofu, I recommend using the EZ Tofu Press.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Grab your FREE Vegan Holiday Recipes eBook