Simply dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar, vegan Tomato Basil Cucumber Salad is bursting with fresh summer flavors. Along with tangy cubes of marinated feta-style tofu, or your favorite store-bought dairy-free feta cheese, it's perfect as a light meal or starter salad.
If you're looking for a way to celebrate summer produce, nothing beats a salad made with farm-fresh tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, and sweet basil. Not only is it easy to prepare, you only need a few ingredients to make it.
And the addition of marinated vegan tofu feta really makes this dish shine. But if you're short on time, brands like Follow Your Heart and Violife make delicious plant-based feta cheese alternatives.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's full of flavor yet only requires 8 ingredients, plus salt and pepper.
- Most of the preparation time is inactive while the tofu cubes marinate.
- It's dairy-free but if just as delicious as a tomato basil cucumber salad made with feta cheese.
Ingredients and substitutions
This recipe is made with ingredients you are most likely familiar with, like cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, dried oregano, and olive oil and red wine vinegar.
However, if you choose to make the tofu feta, there is one magical addition I highly recommend searching out: Coconut vinegar.
Made from the sap of coconut blossoms, it doesn't actually taste like coconut. It has a sweeter, less acidic flavor than apple cider vinegar. I love it on salads, and it gives the feta-style marinated tofu in this recipe a tangy flavor that isn't overpowering.
Coconut Secret Raw Coconut Vinegar
- Certified 100% organic, gluten-free, kosher, and non-GMO verified
- Produced with environmentally sustainable organic farming methods and fair trade practices
- Made with coconut sap and not coconuts, so it does not have a coconutty flavor
Or skip the tofu feta and use a store-bought vegan feta cheese instead. Trader Joe's has one under their own label, and Follow Your Heart and Violife both sell version in major supermarkets.
Add your favorite ingredients such as the following to this simple vegan tomato basil cucumber salad to make it your own:
- Red onions or scallions
- Sweet red bell pepper
- Other fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or oregano
- Chickpeas or cannellini beans for extra protein
- Black Kalamata olives or green olives
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- To prepare the Tofu Feta, place the tofu cubes in a resealable glass container or zipper bag. Add the coconut vinegar, oregano, and salt. Seal the container, then gently shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To make the salad, place the tofu cubes, tomatoes, and cucumbers in a bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
- Add fresh basil, salt and pepper, then toss and enjoy.
For maximum flavor, prepare the tofu feta a day or two in advance.
While this Mediterranean tomato cucumber salad is delicious on its own, you can also try serving it with any of the following:
- Warm crusty bread like my favorite vegan gluten-free Bread SRSLY sourdough from San Francisco. I mail order it and store it in my freezer. Use code VEGGIESSAVETHEDAY for 15% off your first order.
- Pita bread and homemade sesame seed hummus
- Marinated olives and dolmas (stuffed grape leaves)
- Spaghetti with quick tomato paste pasta sauce, simple garlicky swiss chard pasta, or vegan Christmas pasta with red and green sauce.
- Mediterranean yellow turmeric rice with pine nuts
- Your favorite soup such as Instant Pot lentil potato soup or lemon chickpea soup
While this salad is best enjoyed fresh, it will last covered and refrigerated for about 2 days. If kept separate from the salad, the tofu feta will last up to 4 days refrigerated.
Tofu is made from cooked soybeans, so it isn't actually raw. It's fine to eat it straight from the package after draining off any excess liquid.
If you are using extra-firm tofu, I recommend draining and pressing it before making the Tofu Feta for better flavor and texture. However, you can find super-firm tofu in many supermarkets which does not require pressing.
Coconut vinegar is sweeter and more mild/less acidic than apple cider vinegar. If you can't find coconut vinegar, you can substitute a mixture of equal parts apple cider vinegar and rice wine vinegar for similar results.
More vegan tomato salad recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Tomato Basil Cucumber Salad with Vegan Feta
For the Tofu Feta:
- To prepare the Tofu Feta, place the tofu cubes in a resealable glass container or zipper bag. Add the coconut vinegar, oregano, and salt. Seal the container, then gently shake to combine. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for maximum flavor.
- When you're ready to make the salad, add the Tofu Feta, tomatoes, and cucumbers to a salad bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Add the fresh basil leaves and toss to combine the ingredients. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately.
- Prepare the tofu feta a day or two in advance for maximum flavor.
- For removing the excess water from the package of tofu, I recommend using the EZ Tofu Press.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.