Sweet and creamy banana is the base of this delicious 4-ingredient Banana Matcha Smoothie featuring green tea powder for a little pick-me-up. It's perfect with breakfast or as an afternoon snack or post-workout treat.
When I'm in the mood for something different from my usual green smoothie, I turn to this Banana Matcha Smoothie. It's easy to make with ingredients I always have on hand.
It has just the right amount of sweetness from the banana and a Medjool date. And the fruit perfectly complements the earthy flavor of the matcha green tea powder.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy to make in 5 minutes with only 4 ingredients.
- You can enjoy it in the morning to start your day or in the afternoon for an energy boost.
- It's creamy, naturally sweet, and delicious.
Banana: For the best results, use a ripe banana that has some spots on the peel. Peel and freeze the banana in halves or slices in advance.
Matcha: I recommend Golde Pure Matcha green tea powder. Use my affiliate code VEGGIES5 for $5 off your first order.
Golde Pure Matcha
- Sourced from small farms in Uji, Japan.
- Ceremonial grade with a less bitter, smoother taste.
- Vegan, gluten free, and non-GMO.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Place all of the ingredients in the container of a high-speed blender. Blend until completely smooth, pour into a glass, and enjoy right away.
If you like, you can start with the basic banana matcha smoothie recipe and add your favorite ingredients for extra nutrition such as the following. You may need to add a little more non-dairy milk if the smoothie is too thick to blend.
- Fresh spinach or kale leaves
- Raw cacao powder
- Peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter
- Chia seeds, flax seeds, or rolled oats
- Vanilla extract
- Extra fruit such as frozen berries, mango, or pineapple
Remove the peels and place the bananas in an airtight container or bag in your freezer. You can cut the bananas in half first or slice them into chunks.
Compared to regular green tea and black tea, matcha has a higher caffeine content. However, it's lower in caffeine than coffee. One teaspoon of matcha contains approximately 60 to 70 mg of caffeine.
While they can be stored in your pantry, Medjool dates are best stored refrigerated to keep them soft and plump.
More ways to enjoy matcha
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Banana Matcha Smoothie
- Add the non-dairy milk to the container of a high-speed blender. Then add the frozen banana, date, and matcha.
- Blend until completely smooth, pour into a glass, and enjoy immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.