Curb your chocolate craving with a creamy Chocolate Smoothie. It's easy to make with only 5 whole-food plant-based ingredients and a blender. Enjoy it for breakfast, a post-workout snack, or whenever you want a sweet treat.
And that's when I turn to this Chocolate Smoothie. It tastes almost decadent, but it's naturally sweetened with fruit.
It makes a large serving and leaves me satisfied for hours. I've even been known to split one with a friend for a healthier dessert option.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's super chocolaty and only requires 5 ingredients.
- It's made with whole foods and is refined sugar-free.
- It's a delicious and nutritious way to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Non-dairy milk: I prefer unsweetened organic soy, but you can use your favorite such as almond or oat.
- Banana: For the best results, use a ripe banana that has some spots on the peel. Peel and freeze the banana in halves or slices in advance.
It's easy to customize this Chocolate Smoothie recipe to suit your preferences.
- Substitute almond butter, cashew butter, or sunbutter in place of the peanut butter.
- If you don't have cacao powder, use cocoa powder instead.
- If you prefer a sweeter smoothie, add an additional Medjool date.
- Add some chia seeds or flaxseeds for additional nutrition.
- Sprinkle some raw cacao nibs on top for a chocolaty crunch.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
😋 FREE Instant Flavor Guide!
No more boring meals for you!
- Add the ingredients to the blender container starting with the plant milk and ending with the frozen bananas.
- Blend until completely smooth, using the tamper to push the ingredients down towards the blades, as needed.
While both come from cacao beans, cacao powder is made from raw beans and cocoa powder is made from roasted beans. They both have a chocolate flavor that is similar but not identical.
Remove the peels and place the bananas in an airtight container or bag in your freezer. You can cut the bananas in half first or slice them into chunks.
Natural peanut butter is made with only peanuts (and sometimes salt). On the other hand, conventional peanut butter contains additional ingredients like sugar and oil.
More vegan smoothie recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration & fun!
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
5 Ingredient Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, (I use organic soy, but almond, oat, or any of your favorite plant milk beverages can be used)
- 1 Tablespoon natural peanut butter, (or other nut butter)
- 2 Tablespoons cacao powder, (or cocoa powder)
- 1 Medjool date, pit removed (or more, to taste)
- 2 bananas*, frozen
- Pour the non-dairy milk into the container of a high-speed blender. Then add the peanut butter, cacao powder, date, and frozen bananas.
- Place the lid on and blend until completely smooth, using the tamper, as needed. (The tamper is the stick that comes with your blender that assists with pushing ingredients toward the blade.)
- Pour into a glass and enjoy immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.