Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Pasta is easy to make in under 30 minutes with only a few basic ingredients. You won’t miss the dairy or oil in this delicious dish. Thank you to my friends at GO VEGGIE® for sponsoring this recipe!
I hear all the time about how difficult it is to give up dairy.
And I agree it’s not easy.
In The Cheese Trap, Dr. Neal Barnard talks about how addicting cheese is, and how to ditch it for good.
And fortunately there are a lot of brands with vegan non-dairy cheese products on the market now.
Being able to enjoy familiar flavors and textures makes it a lot easier to transition to a plant-based diet without feeling deprived.
One of the brands I’m particularly impressed with is GO VEGGIE®.
While not all of their products are vegan, it’s easy to spot the ones that are since they have a lavender “VEGAN” on the label.
I have been buying their vegan cream cheese for a long time.
And recently I discovered GO VEGGIE®Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping.
It’s delicious on pizza, pasta, and salads.
I decided to incorporate this non-dairy cheese into this recipe for Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Pasta.
The base of this sauce is made with raw cashews which are blended with water to form a cream.
Adding the Parmesan-style topping gives it a little extra cheesiness and tang.
And I like to allow my guests to sprinkle some extra on top, as well.
It tastes so much better than the dairy version I grew up with!
Making Spinach & Mushroom Pasta is easy!
You can use any shape pasta you prefer.
I usually choose gluten-free penne, but it’s also great with spaghetti.
While the pasta is cooking, I blend the raw cashews with water until completely smooth, usually for a couple of minutes.
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, it helps to soak the cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes to soften them.
Or you can soak them overnight in your refrigerator.
Then after the pasta is done, I leave it in the strainer and use the same pot to saute the garlic and mushrooms. Less cleanup is always a plus!
Once the mushrooms are cooked down, the baby spinach and cooked pasta go in the pot.
I give everything a quick stir, then add in the cashew cream.
After it’s mixed in, I add the vegan Parmesan and salt and pepper, to taste.
Then it’s time to eat!
It’s a delicious meal high in protein, iron, and vitamin A.
Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Pasta is perfect for both weeknights and special occasions.
Since it already has vegetables in it, it’s a complete meal.
Now let’s make Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Pasta!
Creamy Spinach & Mushroom Pasta (Vegan)
- 12 ounces pasta (gluten-free, if preferred) any shape
- 1 cup raw cashews (soak for 30 minutes in hot water if you do not have an high-speed blender)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (white button or cremini) sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup GO VEGGIE® Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping plus extra for topping
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot according to the package directions. Drain and set the cooked pasta aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the raw cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Blend for a few minutes until completely smooth.
- In the same pot you used to cook the pasta, warm about 2 Tablespoons of water over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until they are soft, adding more water as needed if the pan appears dry.
- Add the baby spinach and cooked pasta to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Then add the cashew mixture from the blender and toss well. The spinach should start to wilt and cook down. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the GO VEGGIE® Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping and stir again.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.