Creamy Spinach Mushroom Pasta is easy to make in under 30 minutes with only a few basic ingredients. You won't miss the dairy or oil in this delicious vegan recipe.
This post is sponsored by GO VEGGIE® but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Table of Contents
I hear all the time about how difficult it is to give up dairy.
And I agree it's not easy.
Cheese in particular seems to be the hardest to let go of.
Some resources that may help you eliminate milk and other dairy products from your diet are included in Switch4Good's Why Ditch Dairy.
And fortunately there are a lot of brands with delicious vegan non-dairy cheese products on the market now.
Many are so good it's hard to tell they are made from foods like coconut, soy, or tree nuts.
Being able to enjoy familiar flavors and textures makes it a lot easier to transition to a plant-based diet without feeling deprived.
And since pasta is a staple on a Mediterranean diet, with these dairy-alternatives you can savor dishes like Vegan Pasta Bake and this Creamy Spinach Mushroom Pasta.
GO VEGGIE brand
One of the brands I'm particularly impressed with is GO VEGGIE®.
While not all of their products are vegan, it's easy to spot the ones that are since they have a lavender "VEGAN" on the label.
I have been buying their vegan cream cheese for a long time.
And recently I discovered GO VEGGIE®Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping.
It's delicious on pizza, pasta, and salads.
Cashew cream sauce
The base of this sauce is made with raw cashews which are blended with water to form a cream.
I decided to incorporate some non-dairy cheese into this recipe for Spinach Mushroom Pasta to make it even more special.
Adding the Parmesan-style topping gives it a little extra cheesiness and tang.
And I like to allow my guests to sprinkle some extra on top, as well.
I think it tastes even better than the dairy version I grew up with!
For a nut-free sauce, try Vegan Cauliflower Alfredo.
How to make Spinach Mushroom Pasta
The ingredient list for this recipe is relatively short:
- Pasta (You can use any shape pasta you prefer. I usually choose gluten-free penne, but it's also great with spaghetti.)
- Raw cashews
- Fresh garlic
- Mushrooms (white button or brown cremini)
- Baby spinach
- Vegan Parmesan-style topping
- Salt and pepper
While the pasta is cooking, I blend the raw cashews with water until completely smooth, usually for a couple of minutes.
If you don't have a high-speed blender, it helps to soak the cashews in hot water for at least 30 minutes to soften them.
Or you can soak them overnight in your refrigerator in a covered bowl.
Then after the pasta is done, I leave it in the strainer and use the same pot to saute the garlic and mushrooms. Less cleanup is always a plus!
Once the mushrooms are cooked down, the baby spinach and cooked pasta go in to the pot.
I give everything a quick stir, then add in the cashew cream.
After it's mixed in, I add the vegan Parmesan and salt and pepper, to taste.
Then it's time to eat!
Creamy Spinach Mushroom Pasta is perfect for both weeknights and special occasions.
Since it already has vegetables in it, it's a complete meal.
But if I have time, I like to serve it with a fresh salad with one of the following dressings:
Spinach Mushroom Pasta Recipe
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Creamy Spinach Mushroom Pasta (Vegan)
- 12 ounces pasta, (gluten-free, if preferred) any shape
- 1 cup raw cashews, (soak for 30 minutes in hot water if you do not have an high-speed blender)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, (white button or cremini) sliced
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup GO VEGGIE® Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping, plus extra for topping
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot according to the package directions. Drain and set the cooked pasta aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the raw cashews and water in a high-speed blender. Blend for a few minutes until completely smooth.
- In the same pot you used to cook the pasta, warm about 2 Tablespoons of water over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until they are soft, adding more water as needed if the pan appears dry.
- Add the baby spinach and cooked pasta to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Then add the cashew mixture from the blender and toss well. The spinach should start to wilt and cook down. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the GO VEGGIE® Vegan Grated Parmesan Style Topping and stir again.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.