Creamy Asparagus Pasta is easy to make in under 30 minutes. This lemony dish is vegan and oil-free with a gluten-free option.
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables.
It's low in calories, high in nutrients, and tastes amazing in so many different cuisines.
And this herbaceous vegetable can help fight cancer and boost your brain function.
Check out these 5 Powerful Health Benefits of Asparagus You Probably Didn't Know to learn more.
And even if you don't regularly buy asparagus, I think you're going to love it in this lemony Creamy Asparagus Pasta.
Creamy Asparagus Pasta cooks quickly in about 20 minutes.
The first step is to boil a large pot of water in which we'll cook the asparagus and then the pasta.
While the water is coming to a boil, I get a bowl of ice water ready.
I also snap off the woody ends of the asparagus spears.
Then I place them in the hot water and allow them to cook for only a minute or two until they are tender and bright green.
Once they're ready, I remove the asparagus with tongs and submerge them into the ice bath to stop the cooking.
Next I use the same pot of water to cook the pasta according to the package directions.
And while the pasta is cooking, I throw some cashews, water, and lemon juice in my high-speed blender and make the creamy sauce.
Creamy Asparagus Pasta is made with cashew cream instead of dairy.
I love using raw cashews for sauces because when blended with liquid they are completely smooth like milk or cream.
As you can imagine, I always keep a supply of raw cashews in my kitchen.
I purchase the halves and pieces instead of whole nuts to save a little money.
You can find good deals on raw cashews at Trader Joe's, in the bulk bins of your favorite markets, and on Amazon.
And while it helps to have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, you can soak the cashews for an hour or overnight to soften them before blending if you don't.
Stir it all together and you're ready to eat Creamy Asparagus Pasta!
After the asparagus spears are cool, I remove them from the ice bath and pat them dry.
Then I slice them into bite-size pieces.
Once the pasta is al dente, I drain it and return it to the pot.
Next I add the asparagus and stir in the lemony cashew sauce.
Sprinkle in a little chopped parsley, if you like, and season with salt and pepper.
And that's it!
Not only is Creamy Asparagus Pasta delicious, it's easy and quick to make in under 30 minutes!
Now let's make Creamy Asparagus Pasta!
Creamy Asparagus Pasta
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus spears. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook just a few minutes until the spears are tender and bright green. Using tongs, immediately remove the asparagus from the water and place in a bowl of ice water. When they are cool, pat the asparagus dry with a kitchen towel and cut into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Add the pasta to the same water used to cook the asparagus and cook according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot.
- Meanwhile, in a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, water, and lemon juice, and blend until completely smooth.
- Add the asparagus to the cooked pasta in the pot. Pour the cashew sauce over the pasta and asparagus and toss well to coat. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.Click here to download your FREE Instant Flavor guide: The 4-part formula to take your vegan meals from dull to delicious!