Skip the oven and make small batch Vegan Air Fryer Brownies in only 30 minutes the next time you're craving a sweet treat.
I received a complimentary copy of Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer to facilitate this review. All opinions are my own.
And making sweet treats like Vegan Air Fryer Brownies is really easy and doesn't require eggs, oil, or dairy. Plus you can add your favorite ingredients to them like nuts, chocolate chips, or coconut to make them their own.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Using your air fryer instead of your oven doesn't heat up your kitchen.
- It makes a small batch so you can enjoy a fudgy treat without making more than you want to eat.
- It's easy to customize with mix-ins like mini chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and/or nuts.
This egg-free brownie recipe is by Kathy Hester, the creator of Plant Based Instant Pot and Healthy Slow Cooking from her cookbook, Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer. In the book, it goes by the name Small Batch Brownies.
Vegan Cooking in Your Air Fryer: 75 Incredible Comfort Food Recipes with Half the Calories By Kathy Hester
- All recipes include gluten-, soy-, and oil-free options and are clearly labeled.
- If you follow a whole-food, plant-based diet or SOS-free diet (salt/oil/sugar-free), this is the book for you.
- Includes seasoning and sauce recipes you can use with other recipes.
If you love using your air fryer, check out the Best Air Fryer Cookbooks for Vegans.
Aquafaba: You'll need a can of chickpeas, but we'll be using the liquid only, not the beans. Reserve them for another use.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Making vegan air fryer brownies is quick and easy.
- First mix the dry ingredients together. Then mix the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix until well combined. At this point you can add any optional ingredients you like.
- Line a cake pan or baking dish with parchment paper. Pour in the brownie batter.
- Place the pan in your air fryer and cook until set. Allow to cool, cut, and enjoy.
Air fryers vary, so you may need to experiment with the cooking time. It's always a good idea to check for doneness a few times to avoid overcooking.
Storing and freezing
Brownies will last 3 to 4 days at room temperature in an airtight container, up to a week refrigerated, or up to 3 months frozen. Defrost 2 to 3 hours at room temperature before serving.
Brownies will continue to solidify, so it's important to allow them to cool completely at room temperature in the pan before cutting. Plan on at least 30 minutes.
You can use any ovenproof pan or dish in an air fryer such as metal, glass, ceramic, or silicone.
Aquafaba is the liquid from cooked chickpeas. The easiest way to get it is by draining a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and reserving the liquid.
More chocolate recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Small Batch Vegan Air Fryer Brownies
- ¼ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup aquafaba, (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of any one or a combination of the following: chopped walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, mini vegan chocolate chips**, shredded coconut
- Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl. Then mix the wet ingredients in a large measuring cup. Add the wet to the dry and mix well.
- Add in the mix-in(s) of your choice and mix again.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F. Line a 5-inch round cake or pie pan (or a loaf pan that fits in your air fryer) with parchment paper. (Alternatively you can spray the pan with oil, but then the brownies will not be oil-free.)
- Place the pan in the fryer basket or on the tray if you have an oven-style air fryer. Cook for 20 minutes. If the middle is not well set or a knife doesn't come out clean when stuck in the middle, cook for 5 minutes more and repeat as needed. Cooking time may vary depending on the size of your pan and your particular air fryer.
- Let the brownies cool for about 30 minutes before cutting.
- *To make this recipe gluten-free, I use King Arthur Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour or Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour.
- **For a mix-in, I recommend Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips.
- Air fryers vary, so you may need to experiment with the cooking time. It's always a good idea to check for doneness a few times to avoid overcooking.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.