Garlic Yogurt Sauce combines vegan yogurt with fresh garlic, mint, and parsley. This easy yogurt dip is delicious on salads, grains, vegetables, and even toast. It’s also fantastic on veggie burgers. In fact, there isn’t much this herb yogurt dressing doesn’t compliment!
There’s nothing like a mouthwatering sauce to take a meal from average to outstanding.
And they don’t have to be hard to prepare or include a laundry list of ingredients.
If truth be told, some of my favorite sauces are the simplest containing only a handful of ingredients, like this Garlic Yogurt Sauce.
What is yogurt sauce made of?
As I hinted at, you only need 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper, to make this yogurt sauce recipe:
- Plain dairy-free yogurt: Make sure you are purchasing an unsweetened yogurt since we don’t want our sauce to taste sweet. And while I’m vegan and don’t consume dairy, feel free to choose whatever works for your diet. There are many kinds of plant-based yogurts on the market made with everything from coconut to soy to cashews. Try a few and pick your favorite!
- Fresh garlic: Since you probably don’t want a big chunk of garlic in your herb yogurt dip, try to mince the garlic as finely as you can. Or use a microplane grater. I have a link to the one I use in the recipe below for your convenience.
- Fresh mint leaves: This is my favorite part of this easy yogurt dip. Mint gives it such a fresh and vibrant flavor.
- Fresh parsley leaves: Here I used Italian flat-leaf parsley, but curly parsley will work as well. If you’re not a pro at chopping fresh herbs, check out the herb scissors link in the recipe below. It’s an inexpensive yet amazing gadget!
- Salt and pepper, to taste: I like to take a taste of the garlic yogurt sauce and then add a little seasoning if I think it needs it. Sometimes you can get away with using less salt when you incorporate more herbs and spices in your food, which is typical in the Mediterranean diet.
Now that we know what this yogurt garlic dip is made of, all we need to do is stir all of the ingredients together in a small bowl.
How to use Garlic Yogurt Sauce
The possibilities are endless when it comes to enjoying this yogurt based sauce.
But I want to share with you some of my favorite combinations for inspiration.
Have you tried skipping the butter and topping your toast with herb yogurt dressing instead?
When I first tried this Garlic Yogurt Sauce on whole-grain toast, I was amazed by how delicious this combination is!
In addition, it’s much healthier than butter or margarine.
Plus since this sauce is really low in calories, you don’t have to feel guilty about loading it on.
And if you’re a little skeptical about this idea, check out Bon Appetit’s article Yogurt Toast: It’s a Thing, and You Should Get In On It.
Here I enjoyed the toast with some Tomato Onion Salad on the side.
After all, in the Mediterranean diet, it’s perfectly normal to start eating your daily vegetables at breakfast.
Mediterranean dinner idea
I love keeping some containers of plain dairy-free yogurt in the refrigerator so I can make a batch of Garlic Yogurt Sauce whenever I want.
I’m one of those people who like their food mixed together, and this combination is fantastic.
But the garlic yogurt tastes wonderful on its own, too.
In addition, I often use it as a topping on veggie burgers, as shown in the photo below. No need for mayo here!
How will you enjoy this Garlic Yogurt Sauce? Please let me know in the comments!
Garlic Yogurt Sauce Recipe
This recipe makes 4 servings, but since each serving is very low in calories, you can easily eat as much as you want without feeling guilty.
The leftovers store well covered and refrigerated for 2-3 days. Be sure to give the sauce a quick stir before using.
And if you’re looking for a lemon flavored yogurt sauce, check out the recipe for Greek Yogurt Sauce.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Garlic Yogurt Sauce with Herbs (Vegan)
- 6 ounces plain dairy-free yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Taste and adjust for the seasonings, as needed.Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for later.