Vegan Yogurt Sauce is easy to make in minutes with fresh garlic, mint, and parsley. It's delicious on roasted vegetables, rice pilaf, burgers, toast, salads, and more. Or enjoy it as a dip with pita bread, chips, or raw veggies.
There's nothing like a mouthwatering sauce or condiment to take a meal from average to outstanding. And it doesn't have to be hard to prepare or include a laundry list of ingredients.
If truth be told, some of my favorite sauces are the simplest, containing only a handful of ingredients, like this Vegan Yogurt Sauce.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You only need 4 ingredients, plus salt and pepper, to make it.
- It's ready to enjoy in 10 minutes or less.
- It's an easy way to add an extra layer of flavor to your favorite dishes like kabobs, roasted vegetables, grains, sandwiches, and more.
- Plain dairy-free yogurt: Make sure you are purchasing an unsweetened vegan yogurt without added sugar. There are many kinds of plant-based yogurts on the market made with everything from coconut to soy to cashews. Try a few and pick your favorite!
- Fresh garlic: Since you probably don't want a big chunk of raw garlic in your sauce, try to mince the garlic as finely as you can. I recommend using a microplane grater.
- Fresh mint leaves
- Fresh parsley leaves: Either Italian flat-leaf or curly parsley.
- Salt and pepper
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
To prepare the Vegan Yogurt Sauce, simply add the yogurt, garlic, and herbs to a bowl and mix well. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
You can enjoy it right away or cover and refrigerate it for later.
- Give it a lemony kick by adding the zest of a lemon plus 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Swap out the parsley and mint and use fresh dill or chives instead.
- Add a little heat with a pinch of cayenne or Aleppo pepper. Or stir in some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Turn it into a vegan Tzatziki sauce by adding grated cucumber. (Be sure to squeeze out the excess water from the cucumber before stirring it in.)
- Drizzle some olive oil on top.
Vegan Yogurt Sauce complements a wide variety of vegan Mediterranean diet recipes such as the following:
Leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Give it a quick stir before using.
At most major supermarkets you'll find a variety of vegan yogurt brands including Silk, So Delicious, Oatly, Forager, and Kite Hill. And many non-vegan brands such as Trader Joe's and Chobani also make dairy-free varieties.
Since vegan yogurts can be made from all different plant-based ingredients like soy, coconut, almonds, cashews, peas, or oats, each will have a slightly different flavor and thickness. It's a matter of trying them out to discover which ones taste the most like regular yogurt to you.
It's cool, tangy, and refreshing with a creamy texture.
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Vegan Yogurt Sauce with Garlic and Herbs
- Place the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
- Taste and adjust for the seasonings, as needed. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for later.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.