Vegetable Kebabs seasoned with fresh rosemary and garlic are the perfect vegan option for grilling season. Mushrooms, zucchini, and red bell pepper stay tender on the inside while getting charred on the outside. These grilled veggie skewers are easy to make with a handful of ingredients in under 30 minutes.
Summer and backyard barbecues go hand in hand.
But sometimes I want something more than a frozen veggie burger.
Long before I became vegan, one of my favorite things to throw on the barbecue were shish kabobs featuring chicken and assorted vegetables.
Inevitably, not everything cooked properly at the same time, and I ended up eating only some of the veggies.
And now that I don't want the chicken, it's really easy to make grilled vegetable kebabs that come out perfectly every time!
What are the best vegetables for shish kabobs?
While you can choose any vegetables you like for your vegetable kebabs, I have some favorites.
If you choose ones that not only taste great together but cook in similar times, making grilled veggie skewers is really easy.
For this recipe, I chose zucchini, mushrooms, and red bell pepper.
They all cook fairly quickly and get nicely browned on the outside while staying juicy on the inside.
Another favorite vegetable to include is potatoes.
However, you'll want to par cook them in a pot of boiling water before adding them to the vegetable kebabs.
You can do this in advance using the method outlined in the recipe for Grilled Potatoes with Lemon Herb Sauce.
And for more tips for how to grill vegetables on a gas grill, check out these Top Tips For Grilling Vegetables.
Rosemary and garlic
To make the vegetables extra flavorful, I decided to brush on a mixture of olive oil, fresh rosemary, garlic, and salt and pepper prior to grilling.
The fresh herbs and spices take these grilled veggie skewers to the next level.
And for even more flavor, make a double portion of the olive oil mixture.
Brush half of it on the vegetable kebabs, and reserve the other half to use as a dipping sauce.
What to serve with Vegetable Kebabs
I really enjoy grilled vegetable kabobs along with a grain for a complete meal.
Best Vegetarian BBQ Recipes
Looking for more vegetable recipes for the BBQ?
These are some of my summer favorites:
- Cauliflower Curry Grill Packets
- Grilled Corn Salad with Tomatoes and Cucumber
- Teriyaki Grilled Tofu Kabobs with Pineapple
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Chickpeas and Tomatoes
Vegetable Kebabs Recipe
This recipe makes 4 grilled vegetable kabobs.
And of course you can adjust the quantities in the recipe to make as few or many as you like.
If I'm not making much else to go with them, I will make 2 skewers per person. But usually there is plenty of other foods to eat with them, in which case I'll serve 1 per person.
I like to remove the vegetables from the grilled veggie skewers before serving them.
The leftovers are delicious the next day either reheated or eaten cold or at room temperature.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
- 8 ounces mushrooms, white or brown, stems trimmed
- 2 zucchini, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill.
- Thread the vegetables in an alternating pattern on 4 metal skewers.
- Combine the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on the kebabs on all sides.
- Grill the kebabs over medium heat, turning as needed, until the vegetables are tender and browned on the outside, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter and serve, removing skewers before eating.