This Sparkling Watermelon Refresher is a delightful summer drink you can make in your blender with only 4 ingredients and no added sugar. Subtly flavored with fresh mint and lime juice, enjoy it with plenty of ice as the ultimate fruity thirst quencher.
Juicy fresh watermelon is a summertime favorite.
If you enjoy agua fresca but prefer a fruity beverage without added refined sugar, this Sparkling Watermelon Refresher is for you. It's also caffeine-free, unlike Starbucks popular refreshers.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's easy to make in your blender with only 4 ingredients.
- It's naturally sweetened with fruit.
- You can make a batch of the watermelon mixture in advance and refrigerate it or freeze it for later.
Watermelon: Look for seedless, if available. A small watermelon works well for this recipe.
Sparkling water: Any plain sparkling water, club soda, or seltzer can be used for this recipe. You can also choose a flavored sparkling water to add an extra layer of fruitiness.
- If fresh limes aren't available, you can substitute fresh lemon juice instead.
- Turn your watermelon refresher into a cocktail by adding tequila, vodka, or your favorite alcohol.
- Add other fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries.
This is a great recipe to make if you have any leftover watermelon in your refrigerator that you want to use up. For a single serving you'll only need 1 cup of cubed watermelon.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
To make a Sparkling Watermelon Refresher, first blend the cut watermelon, lime juice, and mint in a blender until smooth. If you prefer a less "pulpy" texture, you can pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
Next fill a glass with ice, either crushed ice or ice cubes. Add some of the watermelon juice mixture to the glass and top with sparkling water. I recommend a ratio of ¾ watermelon mixture to ¼ sparkling water.
Garnish with a slice of lime, if you like, and enjoy.
Watermelon Refreshers can be enjoyed any time of day. It's the perfect hydrating drink to enjoy after exercise since watermelon may help your muscles recover faster after a workout.
And they are a refreshing fruity summer beverage to enjoy outside on a hot summer day with your favorite vegan grilled dishes. Or sip them when you're snacking on tortilla chips with simple 4-ingredient guacamole, vegan ceviche made with cauliflower, or black-eyed pea and corn dip.
Storing and freezing
Refrigerate any leftover watermelon mixture (before adding the sparkling water) in a container with a lid for up to 3 days.
Or freeze, leaving room in the top of the container for expansion, for 1 to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
Refer to the FDA Food Storage Guidelines for more information.
Look for a watermelon that has dark green stripes and has a dull texture. If it's shiny looking, it's probably not ripe. It should be firm and free from dents and cuts as much as possible.
While you can use a juicer, it's not necessary in order to make watermelon juice. Simply blend chopped watermelon in a blender until smooth. If you want to remove the pulp, or if some seeds ended up in the juice, pour it through a fine mesh strainer.
Conventional watermelon is generally low in pesticides compared to other fruit and is on the "Clean-15" list. Be sure to wash the outside well before slicing.
More vegan watermelon recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Sparkling Watermelon Refresher
- 4 cups watermelon, cut in chunks (seedless)
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 4 mint leaves
- ice, crushed or cubes
- sparkling water
- lime slices , for garnish (optional)
- In a blender, process the watermelon chunks, lime juice, and mint leaves until smooth.
- Strain the watermelon mixture, if desired, and set aside.
- Fill your glasses with ice.
- Pour the watermelon mixture over the ice to fill each glass ¾ of the way to the top.
- Top each glass with sparkling water, garnish with lime slices (if desired) and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.