Avocado Pesto Pasta is luxuriously creamy without using any oil, dairy, or nuts. This quick and easy vegan recipe is delicious served hot or at room temperature. In the time it takes to cook a box of noodles, you’ll have a scrumptious dinner on the table!
Table of Contents
A spin on traditional pesto
You’ve probably had pesto many times, either homemade, store-bought, or in a restaurant.
But have you ever tried it with avocado?
The first time I did was when I made the recipe from the book Chloe’s Kitchen, which I purchased when it was released in 2012. You may be familiar with Chloe Coscarelli from her win on Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, her many fabulous cookbooks, or the popular restaurants by CHLOE.
Anyway, I love her recipe, but I can never eat very much because it’s very rich. It actually makes my stomach a little upset.
However, over the years I’ve tried many recipes for pesto using avocado and basil, and finally I came up with my own that I absolutely love and make quite frequently.
Plus it’s oil-free, nut-free, dairy-free, and allergy-friendly.
And I love the California twist on a traditional Mediterranean dish.
Avocado Pesto ingredients
This easy Avocado Pesto Pasta recipe requires only a few ingredients.
The only items you many not have but are easy to order or find at health food stores are the following, for which I’m including affiliate links for your convenience:
- Hemp seeds, which you can also use in smoothies or as a topping for salads, avocado toast, or yogurt. They have a mild flavor similar to sesame seeds or pine nuts. And to learn about the nutritional benefits of hemp seeds, check out 6 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds.
- Nutritional yeast, which you can use in my tofu scramble recipe, on potatoes, pasta, or popcorn, or on pretty much anything when you want a savory, cheesy flavor.
In addition, to make the avocado pesto sauce you will need the following:
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh basil
- Lemon juice
I like to serve the sauce on gluten-free penne, but any type and shape of pasta will work.
More over, I love topping the vibrant green pasta dish with cherry tomatoes for a contrast in color and texture.
How to make Avocado Pesto Pasta
Making avocado pesto is very similar to making traditional pasta.
Simply add the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and pulse.
I like to keep this fresh sauce on the rustic side so I can see bits of basil rather than processing it completely smooth.
And you may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula so the ingredients are well combined.
I suggest starting with only a little salt and adding more as you go so it’s not over or under seasoned.
Then when you’re happy with the avocado pesto, add it to your cooked pasta and fold it in.
It’s so quick and easy!
More no cook sauces
No cook pasta sauces are wonderful because you can prepare them in minutes.
I recommend trying some of these favorites:
Avocado Pesto Pasta Recipe
This dish is a complete meal, and you really don’t need to serve anything with it, especially if you top it with fresh tomatoes.
It’s like a salad and pasta all in one.
Avocado Pesto Pasta tastes best served right away. But if you have leftovers, you can cover and refrigerate them for a day or two, then enjoy them at room temperature.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Avocado Pesto Pasta (Vegan)
- 1 box pasta of your choice (12-16 ounces), (I used gluten-free penne)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, seed and skin removed
- 1 cup fresh basil, thick stems removed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt , to taste
- cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or quartered, for topping (optional)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto sauce by processing the garlic, avocado, basil, lemon juice, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, and salt. Pulse and scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl as needed. Do not overprocess; keep the sauce a little chunky so that you can see specks of basil. Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Add the pesto to the pasta and toss well to combine. Top with cherry tomatoes before serving, if desired. Enjoy!