Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta takes only minutes to make and is flavorful and creamy without using any oil. It’s delicious served hot or at room temperature. In the time it takes to cook a box of noodles, you’ll have Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta on the table!
You’ve probably had pesto many times, either homemade, store-bought, or in a restaurant. But have you ever tried it with avocado?
The first time I did was when I made the recipe from the book Chloe’s Kitchen, which I purchased when it was released in 2012. You may be familiar with Chloe Coscarelli from her win on Food Network’s Cupcake Wars, her many fabulous cookbooks, or the popular restaurants by CHLOE.
Anyway, I love her recipe, but I can never eat very much because it’s very rich. It actually makes my stomach a little upset.
However, over the years I’ve tried many recipes for pesto using avocado and basil, and finally I came up with my own that I absolutely love and make quite frequently.
Plus it’s oil-free!
My version only requires a few ingredients that you probably have in your kitchen if you’ve made some of my other recipes.
The only items you many not have but are easy to order or find at well-stocked stores are the following, for which I’m including affiliate links for your convenience:
- Hemp seeds, which you can also use in smoothies or as a topping for salads, avocado toast, or yogurt. They contain more protein and omegas than the same serving of chia or flax seeds. They have a mild flavor similar to sesame seeds or pine nuts.
- Nutritional yeast, which you can use in tofu scramble, on potatoes, pasta, or popcorn, or on pretty much anything when you want a savory, cheesy flavor. Nutritional yeast is salt-free and is high in vitamin B-12.
Other than that, the most important piece of equipment you will need is a food processor.
What’s your favorite no-cook pasta sauce? Please let me know in the comments!
I hope you enjoy this delicious, creamy pasta dish. If you’re looking for something similar but without noodles, you might enjoy this Spaghetti Squash with Basil and Sundried Tomato Pesto.
Follow Veggies Save The Day on Instagram and show me which recipes you’re making from the blog! Use the hashtag #veggiessavetheday and tag me so I don’t miss seeing what’s cooking in your kitchen.
Are you ready to make Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta? Let’s do it!
And don’t forget my motto:
This short one-minute video shows you how easy it is to make Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta!
Avocado Basil Pesto Pasta
- 1 box pasta of your choice (12-16 ounces) (I used gluten-free penne)
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1 avocado seed and skin removed
- 1 cup fresh basil thick stems removed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt to taste
- Cherry tomatoes halved or quartered, for topping (optional)
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare the pesto sauce by processing the garlic, avocado, basil, lemon juice, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, and salt. Pulse and scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl as needed. Do not overprocess; keep the sauce a little chunky so that you can see specks of basil. Taste to adjust for salt.
Add the pesto to the pasta and toss well to combine. Top with cherry tomatoes before serving, if desired. Enjoy!