Vegan Breakfast Casserole is loaded with seasoned tofu scramble, colorful vegetables, and crispy tater tots. This comforting family favorite is easy to make in under an hour. It's perfect for weekend brunches, holidays, and make-ahead meals.
Whether you are already a fan of tofu scramble or are new to cooking with tofu in place of eggs, this is the recipe for you. Not only is it easy to prepare, it's a hit with omnivores and vegans alike.
You can make it in advance for grab-and-go breakfasts. And it's the perfect dish to serve Christmas morning. Plus it's a great "brinner" when you feel like having breakfast for dinner.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can customize it based on the ingredients you have on hand.
- It can be prepped in advance.
- The leftovers taste amazing, plus they are freezer friendly.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Olive oil (for sauteing)
- Vegetables (I use onion, garlic, red bell pepper, mushrooms, and fresh spinach, but you can customize it by using whatever vegetables you like in this recipe. Other people have told me they like it with zucchini, olives, and black or pinto beans.)
- Extra-firm tofu (I recommend the EZ Tofu Press for removing excess liquid.)
- Turmeric (for yellow color)
- Nutritional yeast (for savory flavor)
- Kala Namak salt (Also known as Indian black salt, it's actually a pinkish-gray salt with a natural egg-y taste. A little goes a long way. Feel free to omit this ingredient, if you prefer.)
- Vegan cheddar-style cheese (An optional, but recommended, ingredient for mixing in the casserole and for topping.)
- Frozen tater tots (for the base of the dish)
- Optional toppings such as sliced or cubed avocado, ketchup or hot sauce.
- First make the tofu scramble by sauteing the vegetables, then adding crumbled tofu and the seasonings and cooking until heated through.
- Remove the scramble from the heat and stir in some shredded vegan cheese.
- Layer the tater tots in a baking dish and top them with the tofu mixture.
- Add some more shredded vegan cheese on top. Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
While this dish is delicious on its own, you can also try it with different toppings and sides such as the following:
- Ketchup or hot sauce
- Diced green onions or avocado (Or during the holidays, serve it with Christmas Wreath Guacamole.)
- Warm toasted bread like my favorite vegan gluten-free Bread SRSLY sourdough from San Francisco (Use code veggiessavetheday for free shipping.)
- A fruity salad such as Broccoli Grape Salad or Watermelon Blueberry Salad
Storing and freezing
If you plan on making this breakfast casserole in advance, it reheats very well. Simply bake it according to the recipe directions the day before, then cover and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
When you're ready to eat, reheat the covered casserole in the oven until heated through.
In addition, individual servings can be frozen in glass containers for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
For tips on freezing, refer to USDA Freezing and Food Safety.
Roasted potatoes or hash browns are a good substitute. Whatever you use, make sure the potatoes have been pre-cooked before adding them to the casserole.
Yes, look for super-firm tofu that's sold vacuum-packed. It's very dense and doesn't need any water pressed out of it.
People from the United States Midwest would likely call this a hotdish rather than a casserole, especially since it is made with tater tots.
More breakfast recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Vegan Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Tablespooon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms, (white or brown) sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped (or use baby spinach)
- 1 pound extra firm tofu, drained and squeezed to remove excess liquid
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch black salt (Kala Namak), (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup vegan Cheddar-style cheese, shredded, plus extra for topping (optional)
- 35 frozen tater tots, (or more to fill your casserole dish)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and red pepper in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the mushrooms and spinach. Saute until the mushrooms are soft and the spinach is wilted.
- Crumble the tofu over the vegetables and add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, Kala Namak (if using), and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the ½ cup of non-dairy shreds.
- Arrange the tater tots in a casserole dish. Spread the tofu mixture over the tater tots in an even layer. Top with an extra sprinkle of shreds, if desired.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Enjoy as is or serve with ketchup or hot sauce.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.