15 minutes are all you need to make this delicious Mediterranean recipe featuring tender white beans, juicy cherry tomatoes, and sweet basil. You can serve this Italian White Bean Salad as a side with everything from sandwiches to pasta. It's also wonderful as a light meal with some crusty bread.
You can never go wrong with the classic combination of tomatoes and basil. If you enjoy this flavor profile in dishes like Angel Hair Pomodoro and bruschetta, this is the recipe for you.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make it in 15 minutes with only 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- It doesn't require any actual cooking, just some slicing and opening a can.
- The beans make it substantial enough enjoy as a quick and easy meal.
- Canned white beans (cannellini, Great Northern, and navy all work great)
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fresh garlic
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
I like the use herb scissors with 5 blades to quickly and easily cut the fresh herbs. It even works well when they are still wet from rinsing them.
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Assembling this Italian White Bean Salad is very easy. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss well to combine. You don't even need to prepare a separate dressing.
I often make this recipe for lunch or dinner when it's warm and I don't want to cook. It's wonderful with some of my favorite vegan gluten-free sourdough bread from Bread SRSLY in San Francisco, which I like to order online and store in my freezer.
Leftover white bean salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. But it's best served the day it was prepared since the basil will wilt. I do not recommend freezing it.
While they are technically different varieties and their flavors are subtly different, Great Northern, cannellini (white kidney), navy, and baby lima beans are all considered white beans and can be used in this recipe.
Cannellini is the name for Italian white beans. They are also called white kidney beans.
Yes, they are one in the same.
More bean salad recipes
Looking for more easy salads featuring beans and legumes? Try some of these vegan Mediterranean diet favorites:
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Quick Italian White Bean Salad
- 1 can white beans , rinsed and drained (15.5 ounces or 1 ½ cups) See notes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, (or grape tomatoes) quartered
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- Add all the ingredients to a salad bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.