15 minutes are all you need to make this refreshing Italian White Bean Salad featuring tender beans, juicy cherry tomatoes, and sweet basil. Serve this vegan Mediterranean dish as a side with everything from sandwiches to pasta. It's also wonderful as a light meal with some crusty bread.
White beans, also known as white kidney beans, cannellini beans, navy beans, and Great Northern beans, are a versatile ingredient. They are wonderful for making recipes like creamy white bean dip and smoky white bean tomato soup.
It features the classic Mediterranean combination of tomatoes, garlic, and basil found in dishes like Pasta Pomodoro and bruschetta. But instead of spaghetti or bread, it stars tender and creamy white beans. This simple salad will delight your tastebuds with a vibrant symphony of flavors.
Why you'll love this recipe
- You can make it in 15 minutes with only 6 ingredients (plus salt and pepper).
- It doesn't require any actual cooking, just some slicing and opening a can.
- The beans make it substantial enough enjoy as a quick and easy meal.
- Canned white beans (cannellini, Great Northern, and navy all work great)
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fresh garlic
- Olive oil
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
I like the use herb scissors with 5 blades to quickly and easily cut the fresh herbs. It even works well when they are still wet from rinsing them.
- Add your favorite ingredients to the mix like red onions, red bell peppers, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, or capers
- Give it a spicy kick with a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper flakes
- Use other fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, or tarragon
- If cherry or grape tomatoes are unavailable, chop up a couple of larger firm tomatoes like Roma tomatoes instead
- Turn it into a panzanella bread salad by adding oven-dried cubes of sourdough or your favorite bread
- Sprinkle some vegan parmesan cheese on top or add some cubes of marinated feta-style tofu
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Assembling this Italian White Bean Salad is very easy. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and toss well to combine. You don't even need to prepare the dressing separately.
I often make this recipe for lunch or dinner when it's warm and I don't want to cook. It's wonderful with some of my favorite vegan gluten-free sourdough bread from Bread SRSLY in San Francisco, which I like to order online and store in my freezer. Use code VEGGIESSAVETHEDAY for $5 off your first order.
Leftover Italian white bean salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. But it's best served the day it was prepared since the basil will wilt. I do not recommend freezing it.
While they are technically different varieties and their flavors are subtly different, Great Northern, cannellini (white kidney), navy, and baby lima beans are all considered white beans and can be used in this recipe.
Cannellini is the name for Italian white beans. They are also called white kidney beans.
Yes, they are one in the same.
More vegan bean salad recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Italian White Bean Salad
- Add all the ingredients to a salad bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.