Vegan Quinoa Burrito Bowls feature cilantro lime quinoa, seasoned black beans, and flavorful toppings. They're easy to make in 30 minutes and perfect for meal prep!
Burrito bowls are a popular choice at restaurants like Chipotle, but they are incredibly easy to make at home.
Instead of the typical rice, Vegan Quinoa Burrito Bowls start with zesty cilantro lime quinoa for the base. Then they're topped with black beans cooked with cumin and oregano.
Add your favorite toppings like creamy avocado, spicy pickled jalapeños, and fresh cherry tomato salsa for a complete meal that's packed with delicious Mexican-inspired flavors.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's ready in 30 minutes and can be prepped in advance for quick meals.
- It's made with whole-food plant-based ingredients.
- You can customize the toppings to make it your own.
- Quinoa (white, red, black, or tricolor)
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime (both the juice and the zest)
- Canned black beans
- Ground cumin
- Dried oregano
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Red onion
- Fresh jalapeño
- Pickled jalapeños
- Use pinto beans or white beans in place of black beans
- Add seasoned meaty walnut crumbles
- Substitute your favorite pico de gallo or salsa verde in place of the cherry tomato salsa
- Make a simple 4-ingredient guacamole instead of diced avocado
- Add Chipotle-style corn salsa, chopped lettuce, vegan cheese shreds, or vegan sour cream
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
😋 FREE Instant Flavor Guide!
No more boring meals for you!
- Cook the quinoa in vegetable broth in an Instant Pot or on the stove. Fluff with a fork and stir in cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest.
- Heat the black beans in a saucepan with the liquid from the can, cumin, and oregano until heated through.
- Prepare the salsa by combining cherry tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño pepper, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Assemble the burrito bowls with the quinoa, black beans, salsa, pickled peppers, and avocado, plus any of your favorite toppings.
All the the components of the vegan quinoa burrito bowls can be prepared in advance. Then you can assemble the bowls when you're ready to eat.
They are delicious served with a side of tortilla chips for scooping.
Storing and freezing
Leftover burrito bowl components can be refrigerated in airtight containers for 3-4 days. The cooked quinoa can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Refer to the FDA Food Storage Guidelines for more information.
A burrito bowl can contain any ingredients you typically include in a burrito, but without the tortilla.
Burrito bowls can be enjoyed hot or cold. You can eat them hot when you first make them and later eat the leftovers cold or reheated.
Many recipes call for rinsing canned black beans to reduce the sodium content. But for this recipe the beans are cooked in the liquid to add extra flavor. You can rinse and drain them if you prefer, and then cook them in a little water instead.
More vegan quinoa recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration & fun!
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Vegan Quinoa Burrito Bowls
For the cilantro lime quinoa:
For the black beans:
For the cherry tomato salsa:
- 1 dry pint cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeño pepper, minced (ribs and seeds removed, if desired)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- salt, to taste
For the toppings:
- sliced pickled jalapeños, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
To prepare the cilantro lime quinoa:
- To cook in an Instant Pot, add the quinoa and 1¼ cup vegetable broth to the Instant Pot. Close the lid and select the pressure cook (manual) button. Set the timer for 5 minutes on high. When the 5 minutes is up, allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the pressure has been released, remove the lid and stir in the cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest. Taste and add salt, as desired.
- To cook on the stove, add the quinoa and 2 cups vegetable broth to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and lower the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on. After 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat. Keep covered and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the cilantro lime juice, and lime zest. Taste and add salt, as desired.
To prepare the black beans:
- In a small sauce pan, combine the black beans and their liquid with the cumin and oregano over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the beans are heated through. Taste and add salt, if desired.
To prepare the cherry tomato salsa:
- Combine the ingredients for the cherry tomato salsa in a bowl and toss well.
To assemble the burrito bowls:
- Divide the Cilantro Lime Quinoa among 4 bowls. Add black beans to each. Top with cherry tomato salsa, sliced picked jalapeños, and avocado, and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimation only.