This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase using my link. Thank you for supporting Veggies Save The Day!
Air Fryer Orange Tofu is a lightened up version of the classic Chinese restaurant dish. It’s vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and incredibly easy to make.
Growing up, we loved eating at Chinese restaurants.
Some were more authentic than others.
And I image some weren’t very authentic at all.
But now that I’m vegan and gluten-free, I try to recreate the dishes I remember eating as a child at home.
Thus that deep-fried sticky sweet Orange Chicken of my youth has become Air Fryer Orange Tofu!
Do you have an air fryer?
I received this Phillips air fryer for my birthday a few years ago, and I use it almost every week.
Hot air is circulated around the food making it crispy on the outside.
I like to marinate cubed tofu in some tamari or coconut aminos, then dust it with a little cornstarch to prevent the pieces from sticking to each other.
It may seem like an expensive small appliance, but I promise you will really enjoy it if you get one.
You can even use it for heating frozen foods and baking desserts.
And sometimes I use it for cooking vegetables, even fresh artichokes.
The first step in making Air Fryer Orange Tofu is preparing the tofu.
When making stir fries, I used to cook the cubes of tofu in a skillet with some coconut oil.
But I always managed to get oil sprayed around the range.
Or on myself.
And these days I’m trying to limit the amount of processed oil in my diet.
That’s why the air fryer is so perfect.
All you need to do to make the tofu crispy is coat it with a little cornstarch or arrowroot powder, then put it in the air fryer in a single layer.
After 10 minutes you’ll have perfectly browned crispy tofu!
The next step in making Air Fryer Orange Tofu is making the sauce.
This part is really easy.
All you do is mix the ingredients in a small bowl.
Then when you’re done cooking the tofu, you throw it in a skillet with the sauce, and stir until the sauce thickens and everything is heated through.
It doesn’t get much easier!
Or more delicious.
And it’s faster than calling and waiting for take out.
Serve the Air Fryer Orange Tofu with some rice and steamed vegetables and enjoy!
And if you’re interested in more easy tofu recipes, try some of these:
Now let’s make Air Fryer Orange Tofu!
Air Fryer Orange Tofu
- Cut the tofu in cubes.
- Place the tofu cubes in a quart-size plastic storage bag. Add the tamari and seal the bag. Shake the bag until all the tofu is coated with the tamari.
- Add the tablespoon of cornstarch to the bag. Shake again until the tofu is coated. Set the tofu aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile add all the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and mix with a spoon. Set aside.
- Place the tofu in the air fryer in a single layer. You will probably need to do this in two batches.
- Cook the tofu at 390 degrees for 10 minutes, shaking it after 5 minutes.
- After you're done cooking the batches of tofu, add it all to a skillet over medium-high heat. Give the sauce a stir and pour it over the tofu. Stir the tofu and sauce until the sauce has thickened and the tofu is heated through.
- Serve immediately with rice and steamed vegetables, if desired.