Pumpkin Chili is a hearty fall meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes. It's cozy, comforting, and perfect for crisp evenings. This vegan chili recipe is easy to make with ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
I love a good bowl of chili.
It's so warming and comforting.
And you can make it differently each time by changing up the toppings or ingredients.
While we may not immediately think of chili when it comes to a Mediterranean diet, it actually fits perfectly into this plant-based lifestyle.
After all, this pumpkin chili is loaded with beans, vegetables, and herbs and spices, making it a great option to add to your collection of soup and stew recipes.
While my go-to is usually easy black bean chili, sometimes I'm in the mood for something a little different.
And while most people think of desserts and lattes when it comes to pumpkin, it's a really versatile ingredient.
In this vegetarian chili, the pumpkin gives it an earthy flavor that compliments the beans.
Plus according to Mayo Clinic's Healthy Lifestyle: Nutrition and healthy eating, "both fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin are packed with nutrients, such as potassium, vitamin A and iron."
When purchasing canned pumpkin, make sure the label says 100% pumpkin. We don't want to use pumpkin pie mix in our pumpkin chili!
Canned pumpkin is easy to find online and in grocery stores in the baking section.
Vegan Pumpkin Chili comes together in about 30 minutes using basic ingredients which you may already have in your pantry.
And while you can easily buy vegetarian chili at most supermarkets, it's really simple to make your own at home.
Plus it's much more cost effective.
You will need the following ingredients to make this pumpkin chili recipe:
- Bell pepper
- Canned pumpkin
- Fire-roasted tomatoes
- Pinto beans
- Black beans
- Adobo sauce
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
If you're not familiar with adobe sauce, it's the sauce that comes in a can of chipotle chilies. And the leftover chipotles in adobo sauce can be frozen in a glass container.
I like topping my chili with sliced cherry tomatoes, chunks of avocado, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. Other options include diced onions or jalapenos, vegan cheese or sour cream, and lettuce or cabbage.
Besides serving it in bowls with tortilla chips, you could also use it to top baked potatoes, rice, or pasta. And if you make more chili than you need, don't worry because the leftovers taste amazing the next day.
More comforting soups and stews
If you're looking for more cozy meals to keep you warm, try the following popular recipes:
- Vegan White Bean Soup with Tomatoes
- Zucchini Stew with Potatoes
- Copycat Panera Tomato Basil Soup
- Creamy Lemon Orzo Soup
- Red Lentil Potato Soup
Leftover Pumpkin Chili can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
For tips on freezing, refer to USDA Freezing and Food Safety.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Pumpkin Chili (30 Minute Vegan Recipe)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, (to omit oil, saute in water instead)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper , (any color) chopped
- 1 can pumpkin puree, (15 ounces)
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes, (15 ounces) diced with their liquid
- 1 can pinto beans, (15 ounces) with their liquid
- 1 can black beans, (15 ounces) with their liquid
- 1 can corn, (15 ounces) drained (or substitute frozen defrosted corn)
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce, from a can of chipotle chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion until slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and bell pepper and saute until the bell pepper starts to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the chili to rest covered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with lime wedges, cilantro, avocado, chopped tomatoes, onions, tortilla chips, etc.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.