Looking for the best, easiest, and creamiest mashed potatoes? These vegan dairy-free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain!) are for you. Make enough for a few people or a crowd, and don’t forget the Easy Vegan Mushroom Gravy!
Table of Contents
Instant Pot recipe
Cooking in the Instant Pot is such a time saver, which is especially helpful around the holidays. I first learned how to use a pressure cooker from the wonderful book by Jill Nussinow, The New Fast Food.
And this dairy-free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe is my favorite way to prepare the classic Thanksgiving side dish.
Yukon Gold potatoes
I love using gold potatoes (also known as Yukon gold potatoes or yellow potatoes) to make this recipe. They are buttery with a thin skin you don’t even need to peel.
I regularly keep a supply of these potatoes on hand since they are so versatile. Russet potatoes are have a dryer texture, so I prefer to save them for making baked potatoes. And waxier red potatoes are better for when you want the tubers to hold their shape, like when making Greek Potato Salad.
If you can, always buy organic potatoes. The conventional ones are on the “Dirty Dozen” list of produce containing the most pesticide residue.
How to make dairy-free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are easy to make and incredibly creamy and delicious. Imagine being able to throw some potatoes in a pot, walk away, then come back to perfectly cooked tubers that are easy to mash and full of flavor.
And you don’t even need to drain them! Plus you can keep the mashed potatoes warm all throughout your meal.
- Quarter the potatoes (I leave the skin on for added nutrition, but feel free to peel them if you prefer a smoother texture.)
- Add them to the Instant Pot with some vegetable broth.
- Set the timer for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- Quick release the pressure as soon as the 4 minutes is up.
- Add a little plant-based milk and mash the potatoes until the potatoes are your preferred texture.
- Give them a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Keep the Instant Pot on the warm function so they remain hot throughout your meal.
It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Amy, I made these mashed potatoes last night and they were perfect. I love that I didn’t have to drain them and everything was done in the Instant Pot. I will never make mashed potatoes on the stove again.
If you want to give your potatoes a boost of flavor or serve something a little different, try one or more of these optional add-ins:
- Add garlic, shallots, or any variety of onion (add to the pressure cooker at the same time as the potatoes.)
- Season with fresh herbs such as chives, rosemary, thyme, or parsley (add at the end along with the salt and pepper.)
- Instead of non-dairy milk, add some good quality extra virgin olive oil while you mash the potatoes to make Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes.
- Top the finished potatoes with caramelized onions.
- Give your dish a Mediterranean flair by stirring in a swirl of pesto sauce. Try the sun-dried tomato pesto from my Pesto Brussels Sprouts recipe or the classic vegan basil pesto from my Tofu Scramble Recipe.
Serve 2 people or a crowd!
One of the questions I’m asked the most about this recipe is if it’s okay to double or triple the recipe to serve more people. And the answer is yes!
The thing to keep in mind with pressure cooking is if you increase the quantity of the ingredients, the cooking time will remain the same. For example, if we make 4 pounds of potatoes instead of 2, we’ll use 2 cups of vegetable broth instead of 1, but the cooking time will remain 4 minutes.
However, the time it takes the Instant Pot to come up to pressure before the 4 minutes starts counting down on the display will take longer.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes No Drain Recipe
Keep your Instant Pot on “Keep Warm” during your meal, and you’ll never have cold potatoes!
Leftover mashed potatoes will last covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Since these potatoes are made with vegetable broth and non-dairy milk instead of butter and cream, they do not freeze well.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
Dairy-Free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (No Drain!)
- 2 pounds gold potatoes, (skin on) quartered
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, (I prefer organic soy)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the potatoes and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot. Close the lid. Press Manual and set the timer for 4 minutes.
- When the 4 minutes is up, carefully release the pressure manually.
- Add the non-dairy milk and mash with a potato masher until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.