Creamy and comforting, Vegan Potato Corn Chowder is easy to make in an Instant Pot. This 30 minute one-pot meal is like a hug in a bowl. But don't worry if you don't have an electric pressure cooker. Stove-top instructions are also provided.
When you're looking for a hearty dinner on a cold night, nothing beats a hot bowl of soup. And if you can make it in your Instant Pot, it's even better since you don't need to stir it or watch it while it cooks.
Whether you are new to pressure cooking or an experienced pro, this recipe is practically fool-proof. And if you've already tried making Vegan Wild Rice Soup, I know you'll enjoy this chowder, too.
Why you'll love this recipe
- It's ready to eat in 30 minutes.
- It tastes creamy even though it's both oil-free and dairy-free.
- It's a complete one-pot meal.
- Potatoes (Yukon gold or yellow potatoes work the best in this recipe.)
- Bay leaf
- Dried thyme
- Vegetable broth (Low sodium is preferable.)
- Frozen corn (If you want to preserve some of your summer corn so you can use it in recipes like this soup, check out how to blanch and freeze fresh corn from Food Love.)
- Raw cashews
For the complete list of ingredients with measurements plus recipe instructions, please see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Instant Pot instructions
1. Using the Saute function, add the onion with a little water and saute for a couple of minutes until the onion is soft.
2. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds, then add the carrots and celery.
3. Once the vegetables are slightly soft, hit the cancel button. Then add the potatoes, bay leaf, and dried thyme to the Instant Pot.
4. Add in the vegetable broth, and give the mixture a stir. Close the lid, push the manual button, and set the timer for 4 minutes.
5. Once the 4 minutes are up, quick release the pressure. Take this time to process the cashews and water in your blender to make the cashew cream. Once the pressure is released, open the lid.
6. Add the defrosted frozen corn to the soup.
7. Pour in the cashew cream.
8. Stir well, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. Or you can keep it on the warm function until you're ready to eat the potato corn chowder.
The method for making this soup in a large pot on the stove is similar to the Instant Pot instructions. Saute the vegetables over medium heat, then add the potatoes, herbs, and broth.
When the potatoes are partially soft when pierced with a fork, add the corn. Continue to cook until the potatoes are tender.
Stir in the cashew cream. Then season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Want to learn the 5 Secrets to Cooking the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Way? Join the the FREE 5-day mini course and get the secrets delivered to your inbox.
This Instant Pot one-pot meal is a complete lunch or dinner on its own. But it's also delicious served with a salad like one of the following:
Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and reheated on the stove or in the microwave. For best results, do not freeze.
Canned full-fat coconut milk, pureed white beans, or pureed silken tofu can all be used in place of the cashew cream. You will need about ½ cup.
Yes, for a nut-free option you can puree Cannellini beans, also known as white kidney beans. You may need to add a little water as you are blending to achieve the consistency of cream.
Russet potatoes are too starchy and will fall apart in the soup. If you don't have yellow or gold potatoes, Red Bliss potatoes are a good substitute.
More vegan soup recipes
And for even more recipes, join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook group for support, inspiration, and fun.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Vegan Potato Corn Chowder Instant Pot Recipe
- Push the saute button on the Instant Pot. Add the onion and a splash of water. Saute for a couple of minutes until the onion is slightly soft.
- Then add the garlic and saute for 30 more seconds.
- Next add the carrots and celery. Saute for another few minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Press the cancel button. Add the potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot.
- Give the ingredients a stir to combine. Then close the lid.
- Press the manual (pressure cook) button and set the timer for 4 minutes (on high).
- Meanwhile, combine the cashews and water in a high-speed blender to make the cashew cream. Blend until completely smooth.
- Once the 4 minutes is up, quick release the pressure by turning the valve. Once the pressure has been released, remove the lid.
- Add the corn to the soup and stir.
- Then pour in the cashew cream and stir the soup to combine.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and enjoy.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.
Grab your FREE Vegan Holiday Recipes eBook
This post was updated to include ingredient substitutions. The recipe remains unchanged.