Deliciously browned on the outside and tender and creamy on the inside, Grilled Baby Potatoes tossed in lemon herb sauce are the perfect summer side. Enjoy them with all your favorite cookout recipes.
Potatoes are such a versatile ingredient, but we often don’t think about grilling them. When I ask friends what they like to grill, popular choices include veggie burgers, tofu, and zucchini. But spuds deserve a spot on the barbecue, too.
Have you ever grilled potatoes? It’s really easy to do, especially when you cook them first in boiling water until just tender.
Then the grill makes them brown and crispy on the outside. Add a delicious topping like Lemon Herb Sauce, and you have yourself a super flavorful side dish!
The list of ingredients you’ll need to make this recipe is relatively short. And everything should be available at your local supermarket:
- Baby potatoes (also called new potatoes): While you can use red or white for this recipe, I recommend gold (yellow) if they are available.
- Olive oil: This is the preferred oil to use as part of a vegan Mediterranean diet.
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley: I opt for Italian flat-leaf, but curly is fine, too.
- Fresh mint
- Garlic cloves
- Lemon juice: Fresh is always better, but bottled will do in a pinch.
The two components of this recipe are the potatoes and the sauce. Both are quick and easy to prepare. Let’s quickly go over the steps before getting into the details.
- Boil the potatoes first to ensure they are tender all the way through. Drain and transfer to a bowl to cool. (Often I’ll do this in advance, even the day before I’m ready to make this recipe.)
- When cool enough to handle, slice in half and toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Place the halves in a grill basket.
- Place the basket on the hot grill. Toss occasionally until lightly browned on the outside.
- Prepare the sauce in a food processor.
Using a vegetable grill basket makes grilling potatoes easy. I also use mine for grilling small veggies like cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions so that they don’t fall through the grates and are easier to handle.
But if you don’t have one, you can use some heavy-duty aluminum foil to make a foil packet. However, I find the basket is easier to work with and provides for better charring.
Lemon Herb Sauce
Grilled Potatoes get even more flavor from an easy-to-make food-processor sauce. It’s like a pesto, but with different ingredients.
Simply combine fresh parsley and mint, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil, and it’s ready to eat. I like to keep it on the chunky side so that I can still see bits of the fresh herbs.
To save any leftovers, first bring them to room temperature. Then pack them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Enjoy the leftovers within 3 to 5 days either cold or reheated in the microwave or oven.
Plus the flavorful spuds make a great addition to the Salade niçoise from my Vegan Mix & Match Salads cookbook.
And for even more delicious vegan recipes, join the Insider List and receive a FREE recipe ebook! You can also follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, and join the Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes Facebook Group.
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars! ★★★★★
Grilled Baby Potatoes with Lemon Herb Sauce
- 3 pounds small gold potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Lemon Herb Sauce:
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 handful fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Place the whole potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add about a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. This step can be done in advance, even the day before. Cover and refrigerate the potatoes until you’re ready to grill them.
- Slice the potatoes in half and place them in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a vegetable grill basket. Place on a grill over high heat.
- Grill the potatoes until lightly browned and heated through, tossing occasionally, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Lemon Herb Sauce by placing the parsley, mint, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process while drizzling the olive oil through the funnel of the food processor. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as needed. The sauce should be chunky.
- When the potatoes are ready, transfer them to a serving bowl. Top with the Lemon Herb Sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Get your FREE eBook Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes
This recipe was originally published 8/9/2018. It was updated for better user experience.