Cabbage Coconut Curry with Chickpeas is flavorful and easy to make in 30 minutes. This recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and healthy. Serve it with rice or your favorite grain for a meal the whole family will love.
I love curry.
While I admit the recipes I make at home are far from authentic, I really enjoy them.
They are warm and comforting and take very little time to make.
And this Cabbage Coconut Curry is another one that I make on a regular basis.
I think once you try it, you'll add it to your dinner rotation, too!
You only need some basic ingredients to make Cabbage Coconut Curry with Chickpeas.
It starts off with a fragrant combination of onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder.
Then I add shredded cabbage and sliced carrots.
But if you want to take a short cut, you can use some packaged coleslaw vegetables.
The base of the curry is reduced-fat coconut milk.
And I love the addition of canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans) to make it extra hearty and filling.
I like to garnish the Cabbage Coconut Curry with some fresh cilantro for color, but this is optional.
For serving, I usually make some steamed rice in my Instant Pot.
It's also delicious with quinoa or just on its own.
Cabbage Coconut Curry comes together quickly in about 30 minutes.
In a Dutch oven, saute the onion in a little oil or water.
Then add the garlic and ginger.
Next add the curry powder and mix.
Then the carrots, cabbage, and coconut milk go in the pot.
Stir it all together, and add the chickpeas.
Simmer until the vegetables are soft.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and the curry is ready to eat!
It also tastes great reheated the next day.
I love the leftovers for hot lunches.
A healthy flavorful meal
Cabbage is very nutritious and tends to be inexpensive, making it a great choice to include in our diet.
It's low in calories, yet high in fiber.
And it's full of nutrients like vitamin K and vitamin C.
In addition, cabbage may help reduce inflammation and lower the risk of heart disease.
You may want to read more about the benefits of eating cabbage and learn about this wonderful vegetable.
Now let's make Cabbage Coconut Curry with Chickpeas!
Cabbage Coconut Curry with Chickpeas (Vegan)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk, (13.5 ounces)
- 1 can chickpeas, (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained (15 ounces or 1 ½ cups)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until soft and slightly translucent.
- Next add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder and stir.
- Then add the carrots, cabbage, and coconut milk and stir. Add the chickpeas and stir again.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender and the cabbage is soft and reduced in volume.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro, if desired, and serve with cooked rice or your favorite grain.
Nutritional information is an estimation only.