- 2 cups basmati rice, brown or white
- 1 Tablespoon neutral-flavored oil, (optional)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 can chickpeas, (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dates , (pits removed) chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the rice according to the package directions or your preferred method.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil (if using) or 2 Tablespoons of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft.
Next add the turmeric, cinnamon, cumin, raisins, dates and garbanzo beans, and stir until well combined and heated through.
Finally, add the cooked rice to the skillet and carefully fold in.
Taste and add salt and pepper, if desired.
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 104g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 429mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1.7mg
Get your FREE eBook Vegan Mediterranean Diet Recipes