Zucchini Stew with Potatoes
Zucchini Stew with Potatoes is a rustic Italian-inspired main dish. This vegan and gluten-free recipe is healthy and loaded with vegetables. Enjoy a warm bowl of this comforting stew on its own or with some crusty bread.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1.5 pounds) sliced lengthwise in quarters then cut in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 pound potatoes (I use gold potatoes) peeled, quartered, and cut in chunks about the same size as the zucchini
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cut in large dice
- 1-28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes with their juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped or torn
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
Saute the onion in the oil for a few minutes until soft and slightly translucent.
Add the garlic and saute about 30 more seconds until fragrant.
Then add the zucchini, potatoes, carrots and red bell pepper to the pot and saute for 5 minutes.
Next add the tomatoes with their juice to the vegetable mixture. Press down the tomatoes and break them apart with a wooden spoon.
Bring the stew to a low boil, then lower the heat and simmer,uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the stew has thickened.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove the stew from the heat.
Stir in the parsley and serve.
Leftovers can be refrigerated for several days and reheated on the stove or in a microwave.
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 313mg | Potassium: 1690mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 7380IU | Vitamin C: 110.5mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 7.6mg