Kale Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
Kale Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas is a hearty vegan dish featuring pomegranate, apples, and pumpkin seeds. The combination of seasonal flavors and textures makes it an easy filling lunch or festive holiday side.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 1 bunch kale any variety, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tablespoons pomegranate vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup cooked quinoa cooled (See Notes)
- 1 can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups) (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed (14 ounces)
- 1 pomegranate seeds removed (See Notes)
- 1 apple cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
In a large bowl, combine the kale, olive oil, and salt. Massage the kale with your hands until it is tender and reduced in volume.
Add the vinegar and lime juice and toss to coat.
Add the quinoa, chickpeas, pomegranate seeds, apples, and pumpkin seeds and toss well.
Taste and add more vinegar, if needed.
Enjoy right away or chill the salad in the refrigerator and serve later.
One cup dry quinoa yields about three cups cooked quinoa.
How to cook 1 cup of quinoa:
Spread out the cooked quinoa on a rimmed baking sheet to speed up the cooling process.
How to remove pomegranate seeds.
Leftover salad will last up to 3 days covered and refrigerated.
- To cook the quinoa in an Instant Pot, add the rinsed and drained quinoa and 1 1/4 cup water to the pot. Close the lid and select the manual/pressure cook button. Set the timer for 5 minutes on high. When the 5 minutes is up, allow the pressure to release naturally.
- To cook the quinoa on the stove, add the rinsed and drained quinoa and 2 cups water to a 2-quart sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and lower the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on. After 15 minutes, remove the pot from the heat. Keep covered and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 650mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3288IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 3mg